You first. I mean it.

GoldenMotor.com

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So, I was stopped at an intersection signalling making a left. A woman was at the opposite side making a right. Her right of way. She waves me to go first, (or there was a bug in her face!), so I go. Next thing I know she's t-boning me. My bike slid about a foot sideways and I took off miffed. She followed me and caught up to ask me if I was allright. .xx. I was in no mood to deal with her so I politely stated I was fine. I did notice a giant hole in her plastic front bumper but kept silent. As she drove away I heard her say, "d%*#head." When I got back to my camp I was astounded that there was not even a scratch on my girl, (hit right on clutch cover). So, now when someone has the right of way and they wave me to go, my voice and body language lets them know, "You first. I mean it!" So, for any and all cagers out there, just follow the rules of the road and don't try to be nice. It's very offensive.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have done a little trick for years now from peddling etc. When you get to a intersection and you have ''stopped'' time it right and look away in the opposite direction. Do this when a driver looks over and they will go first. You will not need hand signals or whatever.

For me in the peddling days. Right when you stop ''when running hard'' its a real bugger to start up again and clear the intersection in a timely manner lol.

So I simply look the other way ''head turned'' . Then the driver sees they cannot get my attention and of course with me completely stopped they would clear the intersection first. Works like a charm!;)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

I'm stuck in the gutter.

I'm too darned old to take the abuse of a close encounter with a two ton chunk of steel and plastic. I'll yield to just about anyone.

I'd really enjoy the heck out of all the time I can get! lol

One of my tickets, way back when, the cop said he would have wrote me up for reckless driving, but he said for 30 miles, cuttin' in and out of traffic, riding the line, I made it through the clogs so quickly that no one ever knew I was there.

I never knew I was involved in a chase!
(I was just late for werk.)

Can't travel faster than the radio...
There was a pursuit vehicle waiting for me... at the offramp I had planned to get off at.

Oh well.
three nights, two days...
rc

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just give 'em the ol' "stick 'em up" routine. Ya stand, put your hands in the air with outstretched fingers and give 'em a big broad smile.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
when i'm in that situation, usually at 4-way stop intersections, when someone's trying to get me to go first, i like to cover both hands with my eyes, "peek-a-boo" style. just long enough for them to laugh about it and then go.

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
when i'm in that situation, usually at 4-way stop intersections, when someone's trying to get me to go first, i like to cover both hands with my eyes, "peek-a-boo" style. just long enough for them to laugh about it and then go.
I'm adding that one to my bag.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
When i come up to a 4 way stop. I'll just either wave them forward or go when its all clear. If they are waving, i just keep waving them on and if they don't go after a few waves, i shout! lol

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Never ever take the right of way belonging to the another driver. If she actually waved you on she is responsible for part of the accident. But she will probably never admit it. Don't ever wave someone on if you have the right of way. If they get into a accident even if not with you, you now take some of the blame. This is in many but not in all states. Take your hands off the handle bars, fold them and look the other way. If someone waves me on and we see eye to eye, I'll just shake my head "NO". Eventually they will move.

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I have done a little trick for years now from peddling etc. When you get to a intersection and you have ''stopped'' time it right and look away in the opposite direction. Do this when a driver looks over and they will go first. You will not need hand signals or whatever.

For me in the peddling days. Right when you stop ''when running hard'' its a real bugger to start up again and clear the intersection in a timely manner lol.

So I simply look the other way ''head turned'' . Then the driver sees they cannot get my attention and of course with me completely stopped they would clear the intersection first. Works like a charm!;)
Exactly. I just pull over and chill. I don'y even let on that I am waiting for my turn. If I were in a hurry, I would have taken the car.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm glad you, and your bike are ok, but it was your fault for dropping your guard, no matter who had the right of way.

Try any remember this.

Whenever you ride, death rides along with you. There's no such thing as right of way on a bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Never ever take the right of way belonging to the another driver. If she actually waved you on she is responsible for part of the accident. But she will probably never admit it. Don't ever wave someone on if you have the right of way. If they get into a accident even if not with you, you now take some of the blame. This is in many but not in all states. Take your hands off the handle bars, fold them and look the other way. If someone waves me on and we see eye to eye, I'll just shake my head "NO". Eventually they will move.
Only thing I'd add to Ron's advice is, pretend you're invisible. I never expect drivers to see or respond to me. I'll sit until I can cross and intersection safely, not relying on others to yield.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Right of way does exist, but it's the rider's responsibility to use/take it in a safe manner.
Devil, I had the right of way 6 ways to Tuesday. Shut up and keep cleaning that toilet with your tongue. I'll let you know when eternity is up.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Wow, that's some real cager rage there! Should have sued her for all you could. It's the American way.

So, I was stopped at an intersection signalling making a left. A woman was at the opposite side making a right. Her right of way. She waves me to go first, (or there was a bug in her face!), so I go. Next thing I know she's t-boning me. My bike slid about a foot sideways and I took off miffed. She followed me and caught up to ask me if I was allright. .xx. I was in no mood to deal with her so I politely stated I was fine. I did notice a giant hole in her plastic front bumper but kept silent. As she drove away I heard her say, "d%*#head." When I got back to my camp I was astounded that there was not even a scratch on my girl, (hit right on clutch cover). So, now when someone has the right of way and they wave me to go, my voice and body language lets them know, "You first. I mean it!" So, for any and all cagers out there, just follow the rules of the road and don't try to be nice. It's very offensive.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Three nights and 2 days? Did they throw you in the city jail for your mb riding?

re: t-boned by cager. Yeah, glad you are ok. If there is an impasse at an intersection, and I don't trust them, I just put my feet on the ground, standing over the bike. They'll move. I try to get away from intersections as fast as possible, because that is where most stupidity happens! When I stop at lights or stop signs for more than just the brake-grab full-stop and jump, I usually put a foot down (trackstanding is fun, but sometimes cops might say you ran it!), and turn the bike some, to be more visible from behind.

I saw a youtube video of a motorcyclist waiting behind a left-turning car, in the left hand lane, who was hit by a driver coming behind them. She didn't hit and run, but his bike was DESTROYED, and he was thrown over the stopped vehicle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7D0BTyJBeM

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wow, that's some real cager rage there! Should have sued her for all you could. It's the American way.
This be Canada. If an MB is involved in a collision, they slap the rider with a five grand fine I've heard. These bikes are only temporarily allowed under the e-bike pilot which is ending soon as I understand it. I think we all know we are'nt going to go away now though.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Wow, that's terrible. In Mexico, traffic offenses and wrecks are sorted out in criminal court. In US, it's not that bad, but insurance cos. are bullies and usually get their way. I tried to buy bicycle insurance once, and the office workers laughed. I don't know if you can do much but ride scared and try to keep the rubber side down.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
same thing hapend to me on foot once i was waiting for the crosswalk and fi naly the little crosswalk dude came up and the cager looks at me gives me the go ahead she guned it right into me scooped me up on her hood by the time i got up she had already made it 100yards didnt even glance back at me just a bruise on my leg luckly .

i doubt she even knew what she did .zpt