Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I bought the:
On Guard Bulldog Mini DT Lock 5015
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S55H7O/ref=oh_o01_s00_i02_details
&
OnGuard Bulldog DT 5012 Bicycle U-Lock and Extra Security Cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL3E8E/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It's best to have 2. The smaller of the two will ahve to go around my back tire and frame cuz i doubt it'll fit around my front tire and frame. The second will go thru my front tire, and frame and around an unmovable object. :) Looking for a lock that will really challenge a thief is is like finding a needle in a haystack. Cuz so many have been picked and the vids uploaded to youtube! Thiefs these days carry a small pair of bolt cutters. I'm not taking any chances. My bike alone is worth a few grand. I'll use my old chain combination lock to my seat to my frame.
It'll take a theif at least 6 minutes to cut my 2 u locks if they are using bolt cutters.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Sure can't and each lock comes with 5 keys, each of the 5 keys has a pin light built into one of the key handle. Works great! The cables look nice and stout. They've got a good milimeter or so of clear plastic, or rubber around the cable to resist cutting or sawing.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Even the very thick cables can be severed cleanly with a common electricians tool, so be careful not to rely only or heavily on cables. I lost a pocketbike a couple years ago, from my front yard. I left on an errand, came home to see the cable sliced clean through, with the trademark angled cut of electricians heavy wire cutters. There were tire tracks through my yard, too, so I guess they just heaved it in a pickup and took off.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Yeah. When i do use the cables, i tie it into a specific knot that very few know how to undue. They'd have to cut the cables several different times to get at the bike. Plus the ulocks will deter must theif cuz they are time consuming to cut thru. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think that is the trick. Make it time consuming and laborious so it will be seen and hard work. If they had ambition, they would not be thieves. (or at least not low end ones)

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Your right on dan! Gotta make them work for it if they want it. lol If they work for it, shoot, they deserve a knife against the throat. :)

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
They've got a good milimeter or so of clear plastic, or rubber around the cable to resist cutting or sawing.

That is to protect your bike from dings, scratches and scrapes from using the locks and the lock from the weather elements. A thief can go right through that coating easily.