Screwd

GoldenMotor.com

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
I just received my China girl and went about the pre-flight prep. The sprocket and mag covers came off easily. The clutch cover allowed two released. The other three stripped out like butter.

Can anyone advise the best way to remove the 3? They have a thread lock applied and I would really like to remove the last three. TIA for any advice.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Impact driver set from Harbor Freight is pretty cheap. Not an air impact, it's a heavy body steel tool that you twist in the direction of un-screwing a bolt and strike it with a hammer. Reason it works so well is your driving the bit into the slot as the serrations inside the tool turns the bolt. Motorcycle mechanics use them all the time. It's a must-have for them. You can not crack a motorcycle case without one. I had to use mine for loosening the screws in my HT when I replaced the screws with the bolt set from Sick Bike Parts.

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
Thanks much guys. The clutch cover drew first blood so i dremeled the farking case off. All threads are intact. I will need a new gasket and cover. I managed to nick the case just a bit. I fugure with a new gasket and some permatex I'll be fine. A new cover comes with the jackshaft kit from SBP.

Is there a pre-lube process? I'm working on Al-Fisherman's tutorial, but wonder if I can get busy cleaning out this China girl. Any parts recommendations at this point would be helpful. The head, jug and all covers are now removed. Do I really need to split the cases to make this beastie roll? TIA .J

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Using the correct sized screwdriver is also important. One that doesn't fit the screw head/slots will give you trouble and damage the head before it loosens the screw. A #3 phillips driver is required for the engine side covers. Using a standard #2 can cause you problems with tight screws.

Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
So far, I have built 8 BGF chinagirl engine builds in the last 2 years.. I didn't remove the heads or split the cases on any of them. I did remove all the covers and tighten every fastner I could find. All of them had not very tight screws on the magneto and case.
Had to tighten the internal clutch spring on several after break-in..

Also, I have never had to change any hardware except the bolts that clamp the chain tensioner. If yer careful and make sure the studs are fully seated in the engine, and don't over torque, or re-torque while hot, you prolly won't have any probs.

Somebody opened one up and saw some aluminum shavings and freaked out! So what, aluminum is soft and those tiny bits can't hurt the bearings or bore, so i don't worry about it, It'll all blow out when you start it LOL

No problems with the crankcase internals yet, except one engine that had an undersize crankpin. It ran fine, but rattled like crazy at full rpm. Pulled the head and jug to find this out. Added an xtra head gasket and it helped a little. The guy that bought it is an easy and cautious driver and never revs it enough to get it to rattle, drives it around in new Orleans French Qtr, and he's very happy with it.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I just received my China girl and went about the pre-flight prep. The sprocket and mag covers came off easily. The clutch cover allowed two released. The other three stripped out like butter.

Can anyone advise the best way to remove the 3? They have a thread lock applied and I would really like to remove the last three. TIA for any advice.
Threadlock applied? Are you sure your motor isn't one that was returned?
I don't think the original assemblers in china would even know about or even be be interested in using threadlock compound.

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
Wayne-Z: I'm not sure about this engine at all. I got the clutch cover off only to discover there is no plate spring. The other side is missing the ball bearing for the clutch rod.

I'm willing to give the dealer a chance to make these small errors right.
Could you imagine not having the spring or ball bearing on a new engine? The piston looks fine;the jug as well , but the rod is a bit rusty and I'm hoping they will make it right. I'm glad I tore it down before install. Thanks to the forum for the insight. J.

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
Using the correct sized screwdriver is also important. One that doesn't fit the screw head/slots will give you trouble and damage the head before it loosens the screw. A #3 phillips driver is required for the engine side covers. Using a standard #2 can cause you problems with tight screws.

Tom
or if you are lucky like me the screw heads will come pre-rounded out from the factory.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Wayne-Z: I'm not sure about this engine at all. I got the clutch cover off only to discover there is no plate spring. The other side is missing the ball bearing for the clutch rod.

I'm willing to give the dealer a chance to make these small errors right.
Could you imagine not having the spring or ball bearing on a new engine? The piston looks fine;the jug as well , but the rod is a bit rusty and I'm hoping they will make it right. I'm glad I tore it down before install. Thanks to the forum for the insight. J.
That speaks volumes. Enough said.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Is there a pre-lube process?
I'm working on Al-Fisherman's tutorial, but wonder if I can get busy cleaning out this China girl. Any parts recommendations at this point would be helpful. The head, jug and all covers are now removed.
Do I really need to split the cases to make this beastie roll? TIA .J

Is there a pre-lube process? The pre-lube process that I do is adding about 2 OZ of fuel mixture to the case before start up. Also lube your cables.

Any parts recommendations at this point would be helpful.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Do I really need to split the cases to make this beastie roll?
Not unless you are going to change the shaft bearings. You may want to flush out the case with some diesel, if you suspect any trash in the case. I don't split my cases.