Good looking functional helmets?

GoldenMotor.com

bubba

Apr 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
basically mum says i have to wear a helmet. i want something that looks good, but i dont want to be a "motorcycle wannabe" so im not looking for a motorbike helmet preferably. i've got a motorised cruiser... not sure what kind of helmet would look good with it? any ideas? .duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your head won't care if it looks like a wannbe. It just wants protection. Motorcycle helmets are far better than those silly bicycle helmets that pedal bikers wear. You're riding what is just a step below a real motorcycle. Why not protect your noggin with something that was designed to do the job?
Tom

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Half-helmet for sure. A shop that sells harley-davidsons and chopper-type bikes is where you'll wanna look, sport-bike shops typically don't have much of a selection.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
You could go to danscomp.com or to a good bike shop and pick up a bmx helmet. They are not as good as a motorcycle helmet. But they do help out alot. But I do agree with every one else. I suggest you go out and get your self a good skid lid. And make sure that it is DOT approved. Some of them novelty helmets you see on ebay are worse than a bike helmet

thepolarpandabear

Jun 11, 2011
Michigan
I really don't use my helmet for protection from cars running me over, I mostly use mine for deflecting low hanging tree branches...also a Dot helmet is going to look the best. Yes my mommy makes me wear a helmet to, your not alone.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Your head won't care if it looks like a wannbe. It just wants protection. Motorcycle helmets are far better than those silly bicycle helmets that pedal bikers wear. You're riding what is just a step below a real motorcycle. Why not protect your noggin with something that was designed to do the job?
Tom
enough said -----look cool or crash an look paralized or dead even worse ,any ride i take out of my small local area will have a good helmet on my head.

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
I agree with everyone else, you have much more power and weight with an MaB than you do on a bicycle, not to mention the speeds that some of these can get up to. I think bicycle helmets look horrible and am the last person that would wear one, but these deserve and where I am require more respect, I use a DOT certified skull helmet styled, isnt full mask and doesnt make me feel like i have a rock on my head, or feel like a motorcycle helmet, cost me 40$ at Scuderia West. I have since found myself very grateful to my helmet when I ended up in a fence because of some car...I along with most everyone here will recomend DOT helmets

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
Does Australia use USA DOT ratings? Either way Snell testing is more stringent and certifies world wide. Any Snell certified brain bucket (for a motorcycle) will give more protection than a DOT so that is what I look for.

bubba

Apr 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I'm not sure whether i want a motorcycle helmet. Motorised bicycles aren't exactly legal over 200W here and my 80cc is definitely over that, wearing a motorbike helmet would not exactly help my case that it's still a bicycle if i were pulled over by a police officer

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
1 watt =0.00134102209 hp so you max out at a little over 1/4 hp. No cop is going to buy that you were doing 48 kph on a that little amount of power. you could try and argue that the average cyclist puts out an average of 1/6 hp but you will lose that too because it takes a good hill for your average cyclist to hit 48 kph on a single speed bike.

I am getting off topic, but any cop who knows their stuff will get you no matter what helmet you wear so you might as well protect your head as best you can. Just my thoughts.

If you want to know how different the tests are for bike helmets and motorcycle helmets look at these:

Snell Foundation - helmet testing

Upholding Standard | Bicycling Australia

Home

Last edited: