Suggested frame for motors?/

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
What frame would you suggest to mount a motor to? Something spacious and skinny like this?

While we're on the subject of mounting motors, would the GT50 fit in something like this? I heard the problem with a pocketbike motor is that they are hard to fit in-frame and then there's how to mount it. But DAX is coming up with an in-frame 4 stroke kit so hopefully soon there's surely a way to mount that 2 stroke as well. Gives me goosebumps!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rocky,
Typically you'll find that the road bike will ride a little stiffer than the cruiser style frame. The fatter tires and frame design of the cruiser is a little easier on the spine. If you're a youngster you might prefer the bike you show. It appears to be a standard 'V' frame which lends itself better to a bolt in installation.

The other picture is a sweet running machine. I've ridden that bike and it performs well. I've never made the switch to a 4 stroke, except for a trike a built a year or so ago, and still running the F-80 in-frame 2 strokers.

Good luck. Keep us informed of what you decide. Maybe you'll be on the road by spring and can join us in a cruise.
Tom

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Yeaah I'm a bit younger and up for a beating. Being sore feels good at this age :D

Actually 2door, I have already started building a bike. I made this thread because I'm thinking of a future build already, but using a different motor than the happytimes preferably. I really like the GT50 on thatsdax and have been dreaming of how to mount it inframe and what size of a bike I need for it. And also preferably have front suspension.

Anyway, here's the thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f42/motorizing-schwinn-35621.html
Haven't gotten to finish it yet. Lots of stuff to do with finals coming up. As you can see the chain isn't on yet, and I was missing a fuel valve. And have a problem where I have a 32 spoke wheel apparently. Missing 2 bolts in thesprocket because of it

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I gotta ask, do you think that Giant boulder bike would be a good platform for a motor? The reason I ask, is because I can get it for 80 bucks.

Mmmmmm yeah i dunno. I just wish the bike I'm using wasn't a 32 spoke wheel

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
^^^ Still haven't found a 36 spoker? I don't know your budget, but most bike shops can sell you a complete fully laced 36 spoke wheel for around $30.00-$40.00 bucks. No, it wont be heavy duty at that price, but will at least get you going for now.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
My budget is flexible. I didn't know that about the wheel selling though that's good to know. I haven't been able to swap wheels because of the cassette things. But I'll hop by the store sometime soon

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
My budget is flexible. I didn't know that about the wheel selling though that's good to know. I haven't been able to swap wheels because of the cassette things. But I'll hop by the store sometime soon
Oh yea I also should mention that when I took my old wheel in my local bike shop ( already removed from bike, just the wheel only ) . That they were good enough to take my cassette off my old wheel with there freewheel remover. So that didn't cost me anything extra!

I don't know about other bike shops, but if they don't offer to do this for you, I would at least mention it. I guess I just need to break down and actually buy MY OWN freewheel remover, as these are required to do any kind of service on multi speed rear wheels!

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
But if you get a freewheel remover you're going to need a cassette remover before you know it! :p Actually I haven't much of a clue between a cassette and a freewheel. I guess cassette is stronger and more expensive though.

I think I have an addiction at looking at buying a different bike. Mainly because the two I've worked with so far either have a non 36 spoke wheel and the other is to small. Makes me tempted to get that giant just so things finally aren't incompatible, not to mention tons of room and a steel frame. Although from the sounds of it it sounds like no one really has much trouble with an aluminum frame.

either that or save for that new trek 820 i've talked about. Looks good, steel frame, reliability of trek, blah blah. I think I need parental controls to block craigslist. Anyway, back to studying for finals.

Last edited: