Wheelstand Matty From Pirate Cycles Goes Down

GoldenMotor.com

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
matt wrecked up.JPG hemet.jpg

I'm sharing this story with you all because were all a community who enjoys the same things. A Family!

I'm saddened to tell the news about my brother Matt and his Bicycle Accident on Friday. This hurts us all here @ Pirate Cycles. Matt is the Deck Boss, Matt is the Driving Force of the Pirate ship. Matt is my Best Friend, and my Brother.

When faced with a quick decision to either impact a car, go into on coming traffic, or hit the deck. Matt choose to hit the deck. Well, at 42 yrs of age it was a very hard impact for him. This was a low speed accident but I believe he may have gone over the handlebar on the high side and then right down on his shoulder. The bike landed on top of him..

Matt suffers from a Broken shoulder in 4 different places, a Broken collar bone, broken ribs # 2-9, a Punctured lung, and a very hurt feeling. This Sucks!

The Good things are >> He was wearing his helmet (See Pic), He didn't get run over, He don't have brain damage or spinal injuries. Also, hes still alive to ride another day... Thank God!

He will have a long recovery period as none of his broken bones can be casted or re-set. It all oohhs and aahhhs for a while.. It hurts me to see him hurt like that.

Lets all say a prayer and wish Matty a speedy recovery so we can get him back by our side over here.. He is a big to do @ Pirate Cycles and this ship just won't be the same without him.

I'm now back on deck which is Tuesday 6/7/2011 and doing my best to get caught up from this unfortunate incident. We've been down since Friday. I will upgrade shipping speeds for everyone that may be waiting longer then normal. I will get the items out and to the customers as quickly as I can here. We hope to be back on track by midnight tonight if possible.. Thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Please forward any and all phone calls to the new Pirate land-line phone number 508-839-1100. Matt's Cell 508-735-5376 will no longer be used for a Internet Pirate phone line.. After a $945.00 phone bill and 5,400 minutes of chit chat later we smartened up and threw it in the trash. Sorry we went that route. The land-line is here to stay in shop and the other phone will be used to return long distance calls only.

Ride Safe and be careful

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Justin,
This just sucks. Seeing a family member get hurt is very difficult. I hope he has a complete recovery. I also know from recent experience that he has a bumpy road ahead. My injuries last september were very similar with the collar bone and ribs, but no shoulder damage. All these months later I still have shoulder pain from the collar bone brake. Thankfully he didn't injure his spine or head.
Pat

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The only good thing about this is that it was not worse. I'm so glad he was wearing a helmet. I'm a believer in them, too. Please pass along all of our well wishing for a complete recovery.
SB

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The sooner he gets better the sooner you can laugh at him, or at least that's how it works with my brother. So here is to a speedy recovery.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
POOP! I just ordered from them today and sent a nastygram for their poor service in answering the phone/email for questions about accessories I wanted for the worksman special. Now I know WHY he hasnt answered... And: I feel like an asshat... As a trauma nurse I can guess at the pain and long rehab this will take, "floating" bones that cant be casted take a long painfull time to heal. SUCKS!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very sorry to hear about this. Here's wishing for a speedy recovery. Long live the pirate.

6cylturbo

May 22, 2011
Indiana
Hopefully the people that forced him into that decision stopped and took responsibility?

Best wishes ofor a speedy recovery.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ouch! And that is a understatement for sure!
I a sooo sorry to hear that he went down.
I will add him, and you too, to my prayers.
I paid a very high price for that choice one fateful day. I still am paying a price for that choice today. My eggs got scrambled pretty bad and have never been the same since. Is sucks remembering what it used to be like, and why it changed......

Matt is all broken and hurting, but he is still with us and thank God, no brain damage!
They say that time heals all wounds, but your noggin can easily be exempt from that statement.

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Man you are one lucky cat that helmet sure did it's job. Take it easy and take all the services from those pretty nurses ok. They are there to make you feel better. Heal well take care ......

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
The responses in this thread are very insightful. I said prayers for Matt and Justin both. I also prayed for Pirate Cycles, that they will continue to be the professional and first class operation that they are now, and a few more companies that they will receive blessings of growth and prosperity which will enable this industry to come out of the garage and into the main stream. The garage is a good place for creativity, I'm just sayin so this industry can hit the big time. Thankyou Pirate Cycles for giving some of your blood to this industry.