Motor suggestions?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I'm trying to build a DIY e-bike for as cheap as possible, just as a fun project, with an old bike I've got laying around. I want to salvage all parts from other items.

It doesn't have to be fast, or have 30 mile range, just something that will go for 1-2 miles should I get tired of pedaling.

What is the smallest motor I could get away with? My first thought was a sewing machine motor, or vacuum cleaner motor...but that's probably too small. What other common items have a motor powerful enough to make a slow (but useable) e-bike?

For a battery I was thinking perhaps one of those PowerWheels batteries.

Ideas?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like fun. You need to start with the right type of motor. It needs to be DC, or made to run on batteries. Otherwise, you would need a transformer or something.
There are some sources of recycled battery cells out there but you need to wire them into a battery pack compatible with your motor.
Some of those kids electric motocross bikes are pretty fast. Your best bet may be to buy a used kid's electric bike and use the parts on your bicycle.
I look forward to following your project.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well there are two words that never appear in the same sentence when you are talking about electric bikes
Electric and cheap.

For a good start join Endless-Sphere electric vehicle site. You can tap into a vast pool of knowledge there that you will not believe.
These folks have done things that were thought impossible and reported how they did it.

When I joined I thought that I would get the "another new guy" welcome but they were quick to answer all my questions in a manner that was easy for the new guy to understand and made things clear when I didn't understand what they said.

Hope this helps.

Steve.