Florida law - registration required!!!

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
As of March 15, 2011, Registration is REQUIRED!!!

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF

(FYI - Please refer to Exhibit F, Question #3.)

The operator of a gas powered bicycle (moped) is required to follow the rules of the road and safety equipment requirements of sections 316.208,
316.2085 and 316.211, Florida Statutes.

Question: Is it required to register and tag a GAS powered bicycle?
(< 50cc's,< 2 bhp max)

ANSWER: YES. period.

Ride that thing!!!

:)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Here is a copy/ paste to make it easier for all:

3. Scenario: A company is advertising on TV a gas engine kit that can be added
to a bicycle. The engine is tied into the pedal system like a Moped
and it has to be pedaled to start the engine. It is advertised that the
bicycle will be propelled to 30MPH.
Q. How is the tax collector supposed to register this bicycle/gas engine
assembly?
A. The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes
motorized bicycles propelled by a combination of human power
and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at
a speed of not more than 20 mph on level ground. Bicycles and
motorized bicycles, as defined above, are not registered or titled.
Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits
available. If a gas engine kit is installed on a bicycle, which is
not rated in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of
propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 mph on level
ground, the vehicle would fall within the classification of a
moped and be required to be registered as a moped. If the gas
motor or top speed exceeds that for a moped, then the vehicle
should be classified as a motorcycle. There are other
requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle such
as frame assembly and safety features. The operator of a gas
powered bicycle (moped) is required to follow the rules of the
road and safety equipment requirements of sections 316.208,
316.2085 and 316.211, Florida Statutes. The agent should also
direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as
to where the motorized bicycle can be used.

I hope this is helpful.

Add:
(Dated @ March 15,2011)

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
this is very helpful! thank you!

i did see the part about
Section 319.21(2), Florida Statutes, states, When a motor vehicle is built in two or more stages,
each manufacturer must provide a manufacturer's statement of origin for each stage.
or is that only for motorcycles?

i have great reading comprehension skills but, legalese is my kryptonite.

it also looks like i will need to get me a dog tag riveted to my china girl stating the 49cc that it has since my chrome kit doesn't include it ." cough"
anything else i should include on the engine marking?

bottom line, what does it take for one to walk in present, say, & do? so one can walk out registered.

it will feel great to not be "grey area" any more.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
this is very helpful! thank you!

i did see the part about
or is that only for motorcycles?

i have great reading comprehension skills but, legalese is my kryptonite.

it also looks like i will need to get me a dog tag riveted to my china girl stating the 49cc that it has since my chrome kit doesn't include it ." cough"
anything else i should include on the engine marking?

bottom line, what does it take for one to walk in present, say, & do? so one can walk out registered.

it will feel great to not be "grey area" any more.
Provide to Tag Office the Following:

a. Bicycle Year
b. Brand
c. Color
d. Bicycle Serial Number
- (Usually found on the bottom of the main crank or by the rear tire chain stays)
- (the tag office then makes it your VIN, NOT me or you, your local Tax Collector - Registration - Tag Office does it.)
- (the tag office DID NOT ask for an engine serial number)
e. cc/ brake HP - (your engine should be no more than 50cc, and 2 brake HP)

Just in case:
f. Receipts, if any for engine and bicycle. - (don't provide, have it just in case tag office asks)
g. there may be more thats required, (ie: Affidavit of ownership?) However, thats a. - e. is all that I needed to get a tag and registered in about 10 minutes.
h. Bring a copy of the above DMV Document in post #1, just in case.

FLORIDA MB LAW IS NO LONGER "GREY".
ITS BLACK AND WHITE.

I do sincerely hope this helps all fellow Florida MBers.

Now i'd really like to roll down Main St. in Daytona Beach for Biketoberfest!

Lets Ride!

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
As soon as someone has a "meeting" in the Miami area, I'll be there!

And thank you for citing the new PDF..
They changed it, I'm sure, because a few of us including my friends complained about the "greyness" of the Previous PDF.

I printed that out a couple of weeks ago and have kept it on me, which was good, because I got stopped AGAIN (yesterday) in a town just south of me and they were adamant that I had a moped or a motor vehicle..

Once I showed them the bicycle law AND the PDF, they had NO choice to let me go on my ELECTRIC BICYCLE!

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
We all owe WorksmanFL for the detective work he did on this issue! Well done SIR! Now we can all get this done and not have to worry about the locale donut eater.

This is something that has been eating at me when planning our 100 mile ride this summer. We would be going through a lot of political subdivisions. The way the law was until this month some viewed it one why while another viewed it another way. No longer though.

Terry

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Terry and Deco -

Thanks guys for the kind words, I am humbled!
I immediately shared this new info to all within a few minutes of discovering it.

Deco,

1st time tag and register: $62.90
Renewal: $34.90

Of course, we have to follow the rules of the road, and meet safety guidelines ie head lights and tail lights.

Now Lets Ride!!!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
sweet! & we get a tag! wooohoo!

don't worry about me being a bad example of a motorcyclist.
i have 2 piaggos 1 is a vespa. both 150cc 4stroke. owned the vespa almost a decade now.
got my metal cat to hold my plate w/the moving eyes & tongue ready for the tag.
dance1

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
BUt dont these kits have more horsepower than 2? I thought thery were 4hp. Plus they also excede the top mph limit as well making they motorcycles in flordia.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Let's not get into a pissing contest..
On topic:
Drivers license needed and registration required for riding a gas powered bicycle, period.
If you don't have a license, get an electric bike, just like I did.
People always say they don't have the money..
If you already have a bicycle, I can for, $600 hook anyone up with an ebike kit that will allow 20mph speeds for 20 miles, for $700 I can hook anyone up with a 20mph kit and a 30 mile distance.

Beats taking the bus ANY DAY!
I'm constantly passing up busses or at least keeping up with them, and I can use my OWN schedule instead of following the bus schedule.

Yeah sure it takes 3 hours to recharge and the initial investment is a bit high, but in the very near future it more than pays for itself.
For $1200 I can setup a dual motor/battery setup that will allow an 80-100 mile distance (depending on speed). 80-100 miles is at LEAST TWO DAYS of traveling to and from work and everywhere else I need to go. My work is 19 miles away, takes me an hour to get there (by car its 35-40min) and have plenty of time to recharge IF necessary (usually not). I can go to and from work and everywhere else I need to go for two days without a recharge AND I don't need a license, don't need to register it, don't have to pay for gas, am "green", no noise, no polluting, can ride in the bike lane, road, or pedal on the sidewalk.

Last edited:

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
i am pleased to tell everyone that i have personally talked with the head office in Talahassee. We were able to come to an agreement that the gas powered motorized bicycle combination is now and will be for ever in the state of Florida remain a bicycle. The change happened April 20, 2011. Be free to ride with no registration and with no license. Goto my home page for the link. Home
Have a great day.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
i am pleased to tell everyone that i have personally talked with the head office in Talahassee. We were able to come to an agreement that the gas powered motorized bicycle combination is now and will be for ever in the state of Florida remain a bicycle. The change happened April 20, 2011. Be free to ride with no registration and with no license. Goto my home page for the link. Home
Have a great day.
Head of (WHAT) office in Talahassee? Who did you talk to? Get a SIGNED affidavit typed on letterhead from that office that states as such.
Um...
That's the old PDF..

The newest one shows that ONLY an ELECTRIC bicycle (top speed capable of 20mph) is a bicycle and a GAS one is considered a MOPED.

Just like everyone else, you're just looking to make a buck off of the uninformed.

Last edited: