Would Jackshaft = easier/better way to transfer power to rr wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

mp43sniper

Jan 6, 2011
PA
I'm in the process of installing an engine in a 26" cruiser. The rear sprocket installation is a pain and I'm going to have to remove it to make clearance for the coaster brake arm. Yes I understand that's part of the normal installation blues, but I think most would agree that the design is questionable from the start.

After seeing the jack shaft kit, I was wondering if that would be an easier (and better) way to get power from the engine to the rear wheel. That way there would only be one sprocket and one chain.

Second question - would the gearing work out ok if the bike was a single speed cruiser? I understand that it would probably need to be pedaled to get going since the gearing would be quite high.

For my first build I'm going to finish this one the usual way but I want my next one to be a board track replica using a single chain.

Thanks for any help/feedback.
Craig

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
sniper

if you go with the shift kit, which i have and really enjoy, you could use a regular shifter bicycle rear wheel with a rim brake and cassette for your gears. the brake should mount in the fender tab hole behind the seat. may need a front brake assembly. the coaster brake is not the safest. should have a front brake also. i think mine saved me from a couple collisions.

the shfter kit turns it into a real machine!! enjoy your build, good luck.

Ron .cvlt1

Last edited: