Bike rear sproket attachment

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Haven't started yet but have a quick one. I am not too keen on the way the sproket attaches to the spokes on the rear. Seems fine but seeing the one made that attaches to the hub seems more true and probably more secure. The spokes taking torque seem iffy. Being new to this may be all wrong but what you fellas think? I would spring for the metal mount on your recommendations. Thanks for your input.
dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hundreds if not thousands of motorized bicycles are out there using the kit supplied sprocket attachment method. Many have accrued high milage without a problem. Installed and maintained correctly the so called 'rag joint' rubber sandwich method will suffice for most riders. Key words here are "installed/maintained correctly"
That being said you'll get lots of responses from builders who rely on the 'clam shell' style of clamp around adapters as well as bolt on methods such as using a disc brake rotor that bolts to the sprocket and hub.
True, the kit supplied adapter has some drawbacks and requires careful installation to perform correctly without damage to the spokes but it has been done many times and those who use them seem satisfied with the results.
Like many aspects of this hobby you'll find several ways to do things and it will be up to you to choose which way to go. Do a little research and reading using the search feature at the top of this page. Type in Keyword, 'sprocket adapter'. Good luck.
Tom

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Like 2Door said, many use it with no problems. Me...I wouldn't put my butt on the line with that method personally....but that's just me. It does not cost very much to upgrade to a better method.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you have a coaster brake you can use one of these hub adapters from Pirate Cycle.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Ive only used a disc mount, lots of guys use the kit sprocket, Im using the adapter available from Pirate Cycles as well on the next 2.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Great information to mull over. I am a fair mechanic so may just so what happens. By the way, not real sure where I am supposed to be when responding about something. Better read the rules again cause sure want to stay.

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
Check out the flipflop thread for another option. I have used the kit mount many times (probably about 10 rims). I have always thought it was a questionable setup, but in reality I have only had 1 wheel fail and it probably had loose spokes to start with.