use electric razor scooter motor

GoldenMotor.com

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
who has or who knows anything thing about using the electric razor scooter motors on our bikes for back up? or maybe as a primary ??? dance1 laff .flg. i figured it out in my sleep... i can make it a friction drive and it will move me.. but tell me how to make the back wheel with a smaller bmx hub so i can use belt driven please.. if it moves us on that thing shouldnt it move us on a bike? i do not care about speed. i need it to work because i always ride home late at night and i live in ny state where it is illegal to have those kinds of things... wish our bikes were leagel

Attachments

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
friction drive is the only way i have had any success with the motor and 24v 500 watt is min for that as far as im concerned

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
if you use the rear half of the scooter ,useing the original tire and motor set-up (facing backward)as a friction drive ,it should move you down the street almost as good as the scooter,,,remember you have added the extra weight of the bicycle to the vehicle

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
thanks guys and i am going to try it . a bike does not weigh that much and i weigh 150lbs so it is ok for me.. so you think it is worth the time and money??? i dont know how to follow posts that i have made or commented on.. can someone help me with that?
i am going to try it without taking the scooter apart first so i can take it back if needed..lol..

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Re: HF 79cc Utility Bike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we will say the power allows the elec. scoooter wheel to move you along at 15 mph,if the tire is used (in reverse,face the scooter backwards) it will move the bigger bike wheel along at the scooter speed ,you can go to a smaller wheel on said scooter and get more hill climbing power as a friction drive set-up,,, but the gear bolted to the bicycle wheel and tire would have to be the same size as that bicycle wheel and tire for the scooter motor to have the power to move the bike,,or the motor would have to run through 2 - 3 jackshafts to get the ratio the original scooter wheel/tire/and sproket, and motor shaired,by the time it reaches the bike wheel sproket to have the ability to movethe bike,if you notice ,the sproket on the scooter wh. is almost as big as the wheel ,the scoot is just so fast and that will limit the bike to that speed,its all the power/speed it has to give

you asked on the other thread

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This is the only type power bike I use at the moment. I built a frame from angle iron put the scooter wheel in it and then used the schwinn type motor mount to hang the motor on the axle. The bike with this and a 600 watt motor will do about fifteen miles an hour on the motor alone. If I pedal with the highest gears the pick up is much better and it will maintain speed somewhat while climbing hills. Note the avitar

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
The mph I came up with yesterday was wrong. The correct calculation should be 10 mph. I really think you should listen to deacon on this. The motor just isn't going to be strong enough. If you still want to proceed I can show you how to do the calculations.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The only thing that makes the scooter motor friction drive bike better than a scooter is the ability to pedal the bike. It lets you keep the speed up on hills and accelerate faster. The bike is a true hybrid, the scooter is an electric vehicle.

Not to mention it's easier to get home when the batteries die.

Last edited:

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
i have not gotten to it yet because i am currently working on a actual quiet exhaust and working with professional mechanics for their advice and i will need some sort of db meter to prove my results . but my findings can damage a bike if not done properly so that is why i shall wait till i get it correct.. i do this to better all of us mbers.. i will post a detailed step by step once completed.. it shall hopefully not be longer then this week or next at the latest..

sparky 221438

May 21, 2017
IL
New here, id like to use the motor from an electric razor scooter to power some lights but i wouldn't know how to mount it. the problem is is that i have an 50 cc engine on the bike and i just need it to light some lights and charge a battery id prefer it if it was in front. I had just enough room for the gas engine in frame and I dont have any shop im in an apartment . I pull a trailor everywhere and it mounts to the bike seat post. I am new to the engine process of bikes. Is there a possibility of putting a little sprocket on the electric motor itself and replacing the tentioner with the motor. I have found a way to regulate the battery so it shouldnt die yet power lights and have a switch from the scooters motor battery controller thing.