NE5 Clutch springs, is the auto same as manual?

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
We're doing a build with an NE5 motor that was hot rodded by Quenton. It has a manual clutch. I have a 2006Whizzer with an autoclutch and the spring that tensions the clutch arm is short and squat and it does not look like it has much stretch.

Did the manual clutch NE5's use the same short squat spring as found on centrifugal units? Or do they use a softer spring? do they mount the same?

Its tough to imagine that the bar mounted clutch lever has enough umph to stretch the spring far enough to disengage the clutch.

Can anyone help here?

Rich

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi yes, the clutch spring is VERY stiff, and is the same on all of the New Edition Whizzers that I sold, and worked on from '05-'08, and the 99, 01, and 04 that I had appeared the same also.

Mike

Hi Rich,

Only one spring used on the new edition Whizzers. The main difference is the arm between the manual & automatic. The majority of the automatic clutch arms use a reversed thread mounting bolt & no provision for the clutch cable. Either will work if the mounting bolt is the correct length.

My 1999 has the original manual arm and the automatic clutch. I can pull the clutch handle and rev the motor [LOL].

Have fun,

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I can pull the clutch handle and rev the motor [LOL].

thats encouraging Quenton! To me it just looked like the arm had to move a bunch to allow the belt to slip.

thanks, Rich

Last edited: