BossCat's next project A Schwinn Spoiler

GoldenMotor.com

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Not the same as mine noe, i use a 130kv and am witing for the 170kv
to come into stock. You will need to read up on Endless Sphere if you wish to tackle a rc build IMO.

You will need to reduce the rpm to something useable for rc setup, needs to get down in the area of 11:1 ratio That motor you
pictured is 180kv so on 44v it will have near 10 000rpm

Best of luck

KiM

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I joined ES a few weeks back and have been browsing through a lot of RC builds, and to be honest they make my head spin.
All these gear and rpm calculations are way over my head, I have to get naked to count to 21 laff

Im going to do the simple stuff until I better understand whats involved with an RC setup (which will probably take years!) Im going to fit the bike with a 3 speed hub. I'd prefer a cassette/derailleur gears but I dont think there's room enough to fit them?

Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Aluminium Freewheel Cruiser Hub for Disc Brake SX-RK3 - 36 Hole.

This will at least give me better pedeling power, after that i'll see what room/space I have to work with to fit a sprocket adapter on the disc brake - left side of bike.

Until all of the above is done I'll just have to sit and drool over all the fantastic RC bike builds that you guys come up with ;)

Regards
Tom

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I blew that exact 3 speed up, its sitting next to me still laced into a 20in rim haha..if your going to run over 1000watt that will break, i know the gasser guys run them with success but with the instant torque of electric the internal hubs break, my good mate Matt Parks i often mention also had that exact hub on his 1000watt cyclone setup, it too is now rooted...Deecanio from Endless Sphere just 2 weeks ago blew up a 300 dollar internal geared SRAM hub people thought would be stronger, they simply ain't made to take the power we are putting through them unfortunately. I did though, succesfully run disk on left side AND a 'South Paw' freewheel (left hand thread) theres room...haha if you have a custom made frame anywayz ;-P

RC builds really aren't that complicated, problem seems to be the information on ES for them is rather scattered across multiple threads, there no clear concise 'how-to' I have a very handy gear calculator that takes all the 'guess work' out of what sprockets to use etc...If you search for 'gear calculator' on ES you should find it pretty quick, you will need Microsoft Office to use it...

All the best

KiM

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I blew that exact 3 speed up, its sitting next to me still laced into a 20in rim haha..if your going to run over 1000watt that will break, i know the gasser guys run them with success but with the instant torque of electric the internal hubs break, my good mate Matt Parks i often mention also had that exact hub on his 1000watt cyclone setup, it too is now rooted...Deecanio from Endless Sphere just 2 weeks ago blew up a 300 dollar internal geared SRAM hub people thought would be stronger, they simply ain't made to take the power we are putting through them unfortunately. I did though, succesfully run disk on left side AND a 'South Paw' freewheel (left hand thread) theres room...haha if you have a custom made frame anywayz ;-P
I remember reading through that thread a couple of weeks ago, in fact I posted on in quoting you...

AussieJester wrote:Thought we best 'update' this thread for anyone that comes across it in their researching...Deecanio, as i predicted rooted his brand spankin new sram geared hub on the very first ride....Anyone looking for a 'cheap' hub p.m Deec i believe its for Sale...minus 1st gear FYI:- Deecs setup was Astro 3220 HV110 ESC 448v setup.

So once again i shall say mulit speed rear hubs aren't suitable for high powered setups ...

KiM

p.s one more time...Deec...I told you so

Glad I read through this thread as I was thinking of getting a SA 3 speed wide hub (SX-RK3) and sticking it on my Spoiler. I now know not to try running an RC motor through it? Thanks Kim ;)

Regards
Tom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RC builds really aren't that complicated, problem seems to be the information on ES for them is rather scattered across multiple threads, there no clear concise 'how-to' I have a very handy gear calculator that takes all the 'guess work' out of what sprockets to use etc...If you search for 'gear calculator' on ES you should find it pretty quick, you will need Microsoft Office to use it...

All the best

KiM
Yeah I hear what your saying mate, everytime I try and research something I end up jumping from one thread to a link to another thread and so on. Its probably becuase of all the different bikes and setups that the guys use is the reason that theres no set rule(s) on putting an E-Bike together.

I PM'd Matt/Recumpence about a sprocket adapter for the disc/left side of my bike, i'll get back to him later about making me one.

Im thinking of just sticking my 36V 500Watt pushtrailer motor on the bike for the time being. In this case it would just be a simple 11 sprocket on motor - chain to - sprocket on disc adapter. I'd probably need a freewheel on the motor end of this setup.

I bust the towbar on my pushtrailer the other day, so until I get the mate to weld up a new one im reduced to peddeling at the moment :(

Regards
Tom

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thats the one...there is actually another buried on ES from before this thread
with same info haha...Deec is a slow learner he is fixing his and trying again
he would be better off fixing it and selling it reclaim some of his 300 plus $$ back

TiP: If you have a lil looksee in 'new posts' on ES you might find something of interest concerning 'two speed box' I have my order in for one hehehe
here ya go

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14818&start=75

KiM

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
TiP: If you have a lil looksee in 'new posts' on ES you might find something of interest concerning 'two speed box' I have my order in for one hehehe
here ya go

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - 2 speed transmision evolution----

KiM
As to ES new posts, I check the E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives posts a few times a day and read through most - some times all of them. Iv'e already read though the post that you linked to today, to me its just a box with cogs in, clear as mud? Im no good with all that tech stuff.

Iv'e had my pushtrailer motor for a few months now and I still wouldn't know what type of sprocket to order up now that I want to try it on my bike. Because I dont know all the tech stuff - what goes with what I'll probably end up buying something and when it doesn't fit I'll throw it to one side and buy something else.

Sit me in FRONT of a pile of junk and I'll make something but tell me WHAT junk your sitting in front of and I wouldn't have a clue.

Regards
Tom

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Damn &%$£ Grrrr.:(

Last week I hooked up my Pushtrailer to my spoiler and set off for a run. I crossed the main road at the end of my street and up a hilly road opposite, as I reached the top of the road and hit the throttle NOTHING?
I pulled into the side of the road and checked my trailer thinking that the chain may have slipped off. Nope chain was ok? I then gave the throttle another turn and thats when I realised the everything was turning (motor sprocket/chain/wheel sprocket) but I wasn't getting any purchase from the wheel.
In the end I came to the conclusion that the freewheel sprocket on the bike had bust and was able to turn both ways without engaging - Damn.

I took bike and trailer around to my mates the other day and got him to put a few welds on the freewheel sprocket. The trailer now works like it did before but I have no freewheel from trailer wheel to motor. Im now wondering if this would do any harm to the controller? - being that the motor is now turning at all times feeding electricity (a little?) back throught the motor to the controller.

Regards
Tom

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Just goes to show the old saying (Things come to those who wait) is true. I spent months looking for the right set of handlebars without any luck then last week out of the blue a pair popped up on ebay.

Western Handlebars 12" Rise 30" Width. New
£4.99
£4.41 Postage.

At that price I couldn't press the confirm bid fast enough. They arrived during the week so I spent some time today fitting them along with my new seat that arrived last week.

Handlebars.
Haven't fitted the rear brake as my sprocket takes the place of the disc rotor. I'll need to get a sprocket adaptor so I can add both sprocket and rotor.

Seat.
Im wondering if i'll develope a flame pattern on my butt sitting on this for any length of time. :D

I also added my gold braided brake cable and rigged up my 2 into 1 front brake(s) pull system. I had already made a caliper bracket that holds the left caliper at the bottom but after buying 203 gold buzzsaw rotors the caliper didn't fit. I made up another bracket that holds the caliper on top. Not sure if I like the brake sitting like that (to much cable sticking out, and pulling the wrong way) I may make another bracket and change it back to the bottom.

Left Brake Before...

Left Brake (temp) After...

All the wiring (Throttle/brake light cable(s)/front light) are sitting a little haphazard at the moment as with adding the higher bars i'll need to extend all the cables.
I cant get a chance to test ride as theres still hard packed icey snow in my area.

Regards
Tom

USChopper

May 14, 2012
USA
If yer buddy still has the spoiler and wants a trike? Maybe he can make a bolt on trike kit on the cheap, have a look at the links ;)

trike kit construction - Windows Live

UNIVERSAL TRIKE ADAPTER

I think this is from the pic I already posted? The guy had painted it...
:: View topic - Spoiler Trike - finished at last...

Regards
Tom
Hi Everyone,

I just signed up on this fourm today. Can anyone tell me where to get this Trike Kit for the Schwinn OCC Spoiler Chopper?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.