cruising the back roads & eating some wild fruit

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just wanted to share a couple pics and what I did on my 10-12 mile ride on some back roads where I live, the first pic is the bike I was riding and behind it you will see a thicket of wild plums growing beside the country road I was on, I am in the proccess of buying the property on the other side of the fnce behind the plums, and then the other pic is about 5 miles down the road from where I live now and what you see is what is called an Algerita Holly Bush, the red berries on it are out of this world good to eat, very sweet and a little tart, I stopped and ate some plums on the first leg of my outing and then after making the ride back I decided to go on down the road in the other direction and see if the Algerita berries were still on the bush and they are so I stopped and enjoyed some hand fulls of them before I came on back to the house, now that was a fun ride, a great ride and some great wild plums & berries from nature, just thought I would share the ride and some pics.

Safe fun riding everyone....!
Shan

.flg.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That is beautiful looking country to ride in, nice story mapbike!
Nibbling on nature is not something I can get myself to do. With my luck it would be poisonous.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That is beautiful looking country to ride in, nice story mapbike!
Nibbling on nature is not something I can get myself to do. With my luck it would be poisonous.
Yeah you gotta know what you can eat and what you cant, I've lived in Central Texas all my life and am just country boy, I also come into this world from family of mixed European, Cherokee & Choctaw heritage, My great grand parents on both sides had role #'s to the Cherokee & Choctaw Nations so I was taught many things as I was growing up about the plants and animals in these parts and what is good to eat and how to prepare it, some of it is poison in it's raw form but can be prepared to be very tasty and non poisonis if you know how to fix it up, we have a lot of food growing all around Texas that many of the people who have lived here all their lives know nothing about, but most of us country folks are very aware of all the goodies growing all around us, so if times ever get tough we will eat from the land while many city folk go hungry from lack of knowledge. our ancesters ate pretty well and lived from the land before there was a wally world super center, or kroger, or whatever down the street.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are some other pics of the Central Texas country side for anyone interested, these are taken with my cell phone camera so thay arent real good quality.

The first pic is a field of Texas Bluebonnet flowers and the third pic is a closer view of what they look like, the long leafed plant beside the flowers is a YUKA Plant and the roots can be boiled and eaten like a potato, I put a pic of the Alamo down in San Antonio, Texas just for the ones who may not have ever seen it, we were there last week for a tour with family from out of state, the last pic is an old wind mill and what is left of an old 2 room house from way back maybe 80-100 years old, it is on the property we are buying. the pics dont really do any of these thing justice but it is all I have right now.

Enjoy....
Shan

.flg.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mapbike,
Thanks for sharing this with us. It demonstrates that just boring holes in the air isn't all you can do with a motorbike. Riding one puts you close to nature and the world around you. Bikers of all kinds have known that feeling, topless roadster drivers too. You get to smell, feel and experience the wonders surrounding us instead of breathing air conditioned air and peering out through tinted glass. Beautiful country you live in too.
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mapbike,
Thanks for sharing this with us. It demonstrates that just boring holes in the air isn't all you can do with a motorbike. Riding one puts you close to nature and the world around you. Bikers of all kinds have known that feeling, topless roadster drivers too. You get to smell, feel and experience the wonders surrounding us instead of breathing air conditioned air and peering out through tinted glass. Beautiful country you live in too.
Tom
Thank you and yes you are rightit does allow us to to get out and enjoy the world around us on a much more up close and personal way, my bike is covered with dust and dont look fancy and shiny at all but the dust and dirt thats on it is always there to remind me of all the great country roads it has taken me down and all the deer I see out in the paster looking at me like what the heck is that loud buzzing contraption coming down the road, the cattle sometimes buck and run from the fence when I go by and sometimes the horses will run and get a little frisky when I get close, I've had squirrels, rabbits, skunks, lizards, and snakes, dart in front of me on some of the old back roads I've been down, but those are all things that most people never or rarely get to see and experience in the city or boxed up in a car running 70mph down a busy highway.

I reall y like my bike and anyone that dont have one just has no way to understand the enjoyment that they can bring everytime you take it out for a road trip, like I've said before I've built many things in my life but this is for sure on the top of my list for fun factor and just overall enjoyment.

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
YUKA, I've heard of knew about and have ate, Algerita Holly Bush, I've never heard of.

Kind of like the May apple up here in NY. You'd better know when it's ripe or it will kill you! Ripe, you'd think you were in heaven tho!

Careful about those berries and plums, eat too many and you'll poop strange colors... Wait a minute that's how they did the paintings on the cave walls!

Only joking, I'm part Seneca, drop me off anywhere in the NE w/only a way to start a fire and I'll live comfortable (probably not work as hard either)!

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
The pic of the windmill is so south Texas, and the interstate 35 that runs south of San Antonio to Laredo. I have been in that region having spent almost 4 years while in the service in Laredo. I use to go there and Austin many times, Texas has always been a beautiful place to see. Thanks for the pics

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Too many hills around the Texas hill country for peddling much for me, but I do stop on bridges and other nice areas many times just to rest and admire the country side, I see lots of deer and other animals around my home and on the county road around me, I live in the country so I see everything all the time, lots of nice bikes rides all the time.

I like your post. i definetly have many natue photos taken on bike rides. I find if you shut down the engine for a few miles and pedal then you also experience the countryside better.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's why I bought a fric-drive bike. I think I will get a lot out of it. I keep trying to get my wife sold on these. If she would ride one we could go camping more and have a really good time. The scenic route does a lot for you even when you go back to the city.

I like your post. i definetly have many natue photos taken on bike rides. I find if you shut down the engine for a few miles and pedal then you also experience the countryside better.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's why I bought a fric-drive bike. I think I will get a lot out of it. I keep trying to get my wife sold on these. If she would ride one we could go camping more and have a really good time. The scenic route does a lot for you even when you go back to the city.
Good to hear you have the FD you wanted, keep working on your woman and maybe you'll get her in tune with the MB-ing hobby soon.

I like the pic you put in here.......

Peace, map