Another Vote for CHECK EVERY SCREW

GoldenMotor.com

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
How many times did I read this all over the `net when it comes to MB's? A bunch more than I can count without taking my shoes off. And there I was, mosquitoes swarming around me, stooped down and staring at the friction-drive motor support that had shed a screw (THE screw, really) and lodged itself tightly in my rear wheel. It takes me some time to go from zero to twenty five, but 25 to 0 is MUCH faster. Thank goodness I did it entirely upright.

How could that screw, so tightly twisted and three quarters of an inch long (give or take), work it's way out without me noticing? I would regularly check the quick release skewers, but didn't think about these. I rode the 3 miles home via the naturally-perspirated method after removing said strut from said wheel. Kinda wobbly, that wheel. Bike shop said fahgeddaboudit when I brought it in. Now I have a new wheel, and a bit of JB Weld to apply to the new screws.

Say it with me now:

CHECK EVERY SCREW

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I use loctite, so they don't come loose, still, I will say it with you now.....

Check every screw. (at least once in awhile)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
...and the plug.

It was my fault, I took the plug out to check it, and forgot to tighten it beyond finger tight....I looked and the wire looked weird. It was! It was crooked because the plug was about to blow out from riding it with a finger tight plug.

der...