Pedalling Distance-same bike ?

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Can any of you pedal your bike the same distance in a day that you can go with an engine?
Also do you feel better pedalling and enjoy the scenery more ? I find i see much more but the temptation is always there to buzz on the engine.
Well yesterday and today ive had no choice because im waiting to get a new clutch-so after a week ill probably be sick of it --well i can always pull out my Morini but im finding i am enjoying the speed less and enjoy a scenic ride more. Guess thats what happens over 60 years !

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
i cant pedal my mb as far as i can ride it...but i used to ride my cannondale 40 to 50 miles at a time under my own power and would ride centuries about once a month.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
well i have gotten 185 miles lately on my mountain bike and 5 miles on my mb. i do love the mb but i compute with the mountain everyday now do to the exercise thing now

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I can usually pedal my bike as far as I motor each day. The exceptions are the days that I motor for about 25 miles. While I can usually pedal this far, Georgia is so hilly that I get worn out after 15 miles. It usually takes me 4x as long to pedal places as it does to motor there.

Ironically, I find that I see more when I have the motor going since I'm not focusing on making it up steep hills without getting completely worn out.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I pedal we all don't get enough exercise especially with a motor. I find a solid weak of pedaling makes me feel really good! The motor is a lot fun too but the pedaling doesn't hurt me. Its easier to get lazy..I know.

I do see more around me when I am pedaling.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Its so hard at six foot plus tall to have a perfect pedaler, my pedaling bikes are separate from the motored ones. I have a new build coming up that will be a nice pedaler/motored.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
We have a huge steep switchback mountainside road which goes up to a winery. When i was 32 --now im 63 i could pedal up the whole way--today i sure was glad i had a motor but it was only good for two thirds of the way even pedal assisting so i had to also walk--the older you get the more assistance you need--but then i was 175 pounds now im 210 thats 35 pounds more to push plus the engine setup weighs 30 lbs.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Yesterday i was certainly happy i had a great Japanese engine (Subaru 35cc) Staton setup. My friends Happy times motor quit working and he had a 85 mile pedal trip to do - i did 100 miles yesterday in a pre -test to my big trip.The previous day we had severe blowing winds and driving rains and the condesor on the happy times got soaked in water because they are so poorly sealed. Luckily today we got him going again because i had a spare condensor.We sealed the area real well also with silicone - liquid nails- i know that pulling my 50 pound trailer i could not pedal that far. My friend is 35 and strong but after 16 kms he hitchiked and saved 50 miles then pedaled a bit and camped out and came home today. The answer is no iam no real competition to an engine even a small one !!

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
No comparison! I can ride my motor bike much further than I can pedal.

I am a life-long cyclist, but at 67 years old I will be exhausted after pedaling 50 miles on a very hilly route. On my motor bike I recently rode 115 miles on the hilliest route that I could find. I pedaled the entire distance (I love pedaling), but I was not especially tired at the end. I'm sure I could have gone 200 miles.

Yes, I miss the quiet of the pedal bike and I don't look at the scenery as closely. But I love the adrenaline rush from the speed, the ease of climbing big hills, and the vastly incresed range of my motorized bike.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
My motor can go alot farther than I can pedal. Where I live in panama city, its flat. I could pedal problably 50 miles. I finally got my tensioner tightened so it wont mover. :) Now I can start on the breakin period. There are so many stoplights nowadays. When Walmart moved from their location in Panama City on 23rd street(which is like 1 of the three buisiest streets)to 77 in Lynn Haven(77 is one of the 3 buisiest roads). Since Walmart moved, 77 has sooo much more traffic now.The only other walmart is one on the beach, and one over in callaway. Walmart even was willing to pay, to get a light put in in front of their new location. Which they got. They got a turn lane. They even decorated the median All Nice and all. They made 2 turnlanes turning the opposite direction of walmart cuz there was extra space on the road? Idiots. This walmart is huge. They have every department possible. They have a huge parkinglot. Its so big, they had to put a runoff lake(yes, I said LAKE)next to it. They have extra lawn space when they need to expand more. When its the day after thanksgiving, the place is pacekd all the way out to the road. Even the expansion grass sections which each, are the size of a football field. I've only been there maybe 10 times since it opened in october, of last year.

sailorhuete

Oct 31, 2011
Jacksonville
In three months I pedaled a solid 800 miles, averaging 18 mph. Now I will be using a GX35 Honda. I got the GEBE kit. Is this the lightest and eaisiest kit to pedal with the engine off?

Last edited: