Clutch Pad Replacement

GoldenMotor.com

OLDSCOT

Jun 19, 2009
New Mexico
Some of the Chinese 48-49cc two stroke engines use a centifugal clutch assembly with two half circular metal pads or shoes that are held in place by what appears to be two 14mm bolts.They have a central spring that allows the pads to expand at a certain RPM driving a drum and a shaft. Need to replace these pads (have found a source) but need to know how to hold the assembly still so that the two bolts can be removed. Is there a special tool that will keep the assembly from moving? Problem is that the assembly turns also turning the crank and the piston. I could remove the muffler and place a sleeve in the exhaust port over the piston which would keep the assembly from moving but was concerned that the piston might be damaged when exerting pressure on the bolts which were probably securely tightened during assembly.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take out the plug and feed some rope into the hole, it won't hurt anything and will hold the engine from turning.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you can put a rag in between the gears that will jam up the engine so you can remove the nuts on the ends of the shafts. To stop the centrifugal clutch a strap wrench may help hold it still.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Are you able to find brake or clutch material I have round pucks and I went to Habour Frieght and bought a set of punches to cut out round pucks and now I need some material. I might use leather if I can find some thick enough or some belting (rubber).

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I haven't tried it but you might be able to make clutch pads out of aluminum it would be easy if the pads are round.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
It would be nice to try this,

Tribco, and its 100% KEVLAR® fiber composite brake and clutch lining.

Anyone living near this place can get a sample would be nice.

Tribco, Inc.
18901 Cranwood Pkwy; Cleveland, OH 44128; USA
Phone Sales at 216.486.2000 or fax 216.486.2099
E-mail [email protected]

skullman0956

Mar 26, 2010
Hanford Ca. 93230
Take out spark plug ,turn crank till piston is all the way down,take nelon rope insert in spark plug hole till cyclinder is full. make sure you leave some rope out of spark plug hole. when you go to brake bolts loose the piston will compress agenst rope and and wont let crank turn. wont hurt piston, and when your done juat pull rope out!

TristanTTAPpark

Mar 24, 2010
e. houston
Hello I have the small round pucks and i was wondering if maybe i could get some new ones i wont e-bay so boygofast is out i am how ever looking for a place close to houston somthing that would supply the pucks easy i might start pushing my bikes out on my friends and would like to be able to sup[ply extra parts such as this iv found a place for my nuts and bolts and plugs spark wires oh and on a side note im using a brigs and straton kind of pancake muffler that aims upward would this be a bad thing or should i get someone to weld it hanging low lol? oh if you want to see my bike just after i got in up and runing my first vid is on youtube under TristanTTAPpark just google that and youtube it will go right to it tell em what you think

TristanTTAPpark

Mar 24, 2010
e. houston
is there a place online i could get just the round pucks ? with out paypall i got my motor for bike berry and they only carry the wheel with pucks i dont want to have to take the wheel off to replace em