4 stroke bicylcle engine. way of the future?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: way of the future

But you know there honestly is a point there. The charm of the China engine is that you not only get the engine but you do get a lot more than you pay for. You get the fun of building a one of a kind bike, that self expression isn't figured into the price of the engine...

You also get the satisfaction of keeping it going by hook and crook, challenging your inventiveness that isn't in the price of the engine...

You get the opportunity to tell your story, because if you are like me you get asked on almost every ride where it came from and how you did it. that isn't in the price of the engine. The attention is worth a lot more than the price of the engine kit.

Sometimes you don't just get what you pay for.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i have to agree. the joy i get from my motorized bicycle is priceless. for every thing else i have mastercard :ride2:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

They come in by an old Tuna boat captained by a guy with a peg leg, he even has a parrot on his shoulder, goes by the name of Kidd. rotfl
I was reading that there isn't a ban on 2-strokes it all a bunch of poo anyway I read that somewhere don't remember where. Why worry about it, if you do the 2-stroke police will be by to take away all your 2-strokes.
They can have mine when they pry my cold dead fingers off them.
rotfl Where have we heard that before?:confused:
I better go to bed Bob wants to work on the planes Saturday. You all have fun I'm going to relabel mine to 3-stroke rotfl
Norman

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Yes, that's just it, they aren't smuggled or illegal.

That was an "urban legend".

The were new rule put into efect on certain two strokes, but no ban on all of them.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Two stroke ban/Urban Legend? GET REAL!

Bikeguy, IF the ban was not real, would Don Grube have given up 5 us distrubitors, leveraged all of the FleaBay sellers he could, and made one last dash to sell legally into the US?

Would he then have scratched and dug to find other countries that he could sell to thereby reducing his business loss, from having turned his back on the US market?

Would he have forwarded an EPA warning email to me and his other distributors?

I had known about the impending ban for at least 4 years prior to it coming into effect, powered by the money of the Japanese Engine Manufacturers.

BTW if you look, the pocket bikes, skate-board scooters and other chinese cheap 2-stroke products are gone also!

Mike Simpson

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Okay, I'm going to make a personal comment just to be different. Last time I did this I got chastised but, I don't care. I figure this 2stroker (sounds a little obscene) will outlive me. If it doesn't, I will worry about what is available to me, not what some government bureaucrat says is legal. It someone is selling it, if I can afford it, and if I want it, then I'm going to part with the money for it.

Now that's just me. I am not counseling anyone else to do anything but to use you own conscience if you got one. And of course smoke if you gottem.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Are we beating a dead horse? Are we all outlaws for buying a china 2-stroke? Do the fleabay sellers buy their engines as parts and then assemble them here in the US?
If it not legal how are they getting around the ban if they are not being policed at the customs office. Then if a terrorist wanted to bomb us here. Then it would be the perfect shipping container to put a big one in. How is it that there is a pot load of them for sale they couldn't all been bought before the ban could they?
I don't know? That is why I was asking these questions.
I don't want to start a range war I'm wondering what is the deal with all this.
I do know that 2-strokes like these are nasty on pollutants and can't be good for the environment. I'm done.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Okay, I'm going to make a personal comment just to be different. Last time I did this I got chastised but, I don't care. I figure this 2stroker (sounds a little obscene) will outlive me. If it doesn't, I will worry about what is available to me, not what some government bureaucrat says is legal. It someone is selling it, if I can afford it, and if I want it, then I'm going to part with the money for it.
Roger that 24 niner!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Two stroke ban/Urban Legend? GET REAL!

Bikeguy, IF the ban was not real, would Don Grube have given up 5 us distrubitors, leveraged all of the FleaBay sellers he could, and made one last dash to sell legally into the US?

Would he then have scratched and dug to find other countries that he could sell to thereby reducing his business loss, from having turned his back on the US market?

Would he have forwarded an EPA warning email to me and his other distributors?

I had known about the impending ban for at least 4 years prior to it coming into effect, powered by the money of the Japanese Engine Manufacturers.

BTW if you look, the pocket bikes, skate-board scooters and other chinese cheap 2-stroke products are gone also!

Mike Simpson

Well, now we have at least two sides to the story, sorta.

I think like drugs and other things, as long as there is a market, people will buy, legally or not.

Especially if it's from China and cost 1/10 what a Japanese or American product would cost.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

we can argue whether the 2 stroke bicycle engines are illegal or not. we all can argue till we are blue in the face which acomplishes nothing. i do know if i wanted to invest the money i could get a importers license and buy all the engines i want from albia i think they are called out of china. if thier is a ban it is not enforced at all. i have heard the ban was a rummor... i have heard that yes their was a ban but the ban was removed ..and i have also heard thier is a ban in force. as i said i do not know and to argue about it is sensless. just ride and enjoy your motorized bicycles is all we can do. :ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Just to add one more bit of fuel to the flame I have been in contact with an engine seller in china about buying engines. I got a price, what I can't get is shipping infor, so maybe there is a problem shipping them here but I don't know that as a fact. But they sure as heck are willing to sell them to me.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles

Are we beating a dead horse? Are we all outlaws for buying a
I do know that 2-strokes like these are nasty on pollutants and can't be good for the environment.
Sorry to bring up this heated debate, but I searched on "Environment", and this was the only thread I found that was somewhat related.

Anyway - Does anyone know how a 2 stroke motor that gets 120 MPG compares to a regular automobile that gets 30 MPG?

Environmentally - how does a 2 stroke compare to a 4 stroke?

Just by doing simple math, I would have to imagine that a 2 cycle would have to be 4 times the polluter that a car would be before you can claim that it's worse for the environment than driving a car.

I would have to imagine this topic has been brought up before. If someone could post a link to more info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Answered my own questions via Google: A typical 2 stroke marine engine only burns 70% of the fuel it uses as compared to up to 97% on a 4 stroke.

Click here for source

So that's 3% pollution on a 4 stroke as compared to 30% on a 2 stroke.

So you'd have to get 10 times the MPG on a motorized bicycle with a 2 stroke to be more environmentally friendly than an automobile.

I also found several articles about how 2 stroke engines on motorcycles and 3 wheeled "tuk-tuk" type vehicles are the major cause of air pollution in developing countries.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Plus, while 2 strokes are lighter and smaller they have that "rinky-dink-dink-dink" sound. Like my Puch 2 stroke makes. Back in the day, we were raised to scoff at 2 strokes, but technology has improved since the sixties. Hopefully the communists will improve on their pirated tech.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
The really funny and ironic thing is that these cheap HT 2 stroke engines DO meet current emissions standards. Spooky Tooth ran one through the AZ smog station and even with 20:1 mix, it ran WELL within allowable clean air standard limits for a 2 stroke.

Having said that, I'd really love to see a nice frame mount 4 stroke. compact & thin. We need something like this to allow a frame mount configuration for a 4 stroke. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But, they just arent out there.

With the need to carry cargo on my bike, I can't use a rack mount.. just wont work for my needs in a bike.

Last edited: