Where do you carry your spare gasoline.

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Where did you find a 1 gallon tank? I've been looking for one.
pm motorbikemike. i got a one gallon tank for my 2 stroke motorized bicycle and it was really nice. with my 4 stroke titan i just pull into any gas station and fill it up so don't worry about spare tank

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Having worked on motorcycles for years I have seen a few tanks. There are "plastic" tanks that can be used from the small dirt bikes that carry a gallon plus. Likely place to find them is at a used bike places like scrap yards, ebay, ect.

RONNY_ODELL

May 27, 2008
Arab Al. (close to Huntsville Al.
For anyone reading this thread who dosent know what a MSR fuel bottle is, this is what they are talking about. I use the middle size and it fits in my extra water bottle holder. A source to get a MSR bottle.
MSR Fuel Bottles | Dom's Outdoor Outfitters
those look like the water bottles in sporting goods scetion at wally world.... aluminum and shoule do jus as good ... maybe cheaper .... not sure on price

Scotty

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Fuel and water bottles are different, water bottles have a protective layer of plastic which degrades on contact with fuel, causing blockages in the carby.
I dont know if you can remove it. Best to use the right product i guess.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have no need for a spare tank...Everyday before I go riding, I top off the tank, & if I ever do run out of gas... I keep a 2oz bottle of oil on the bike so I can pedal to a gas station. (I live in Los Angeles, there's a gas station every 1/2 mile!)

oldguy

Sep 12, 2008
Missouri
Those 22oz MSR fuel bottles work great and I bought a double water bottle holder and attached it to my frame. Bottles fit right in and give me a lot of extra miles. Really solid aluminum bottles with seal gaskets.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
skip, u old biker u :) Me being wise and all knowing rotfl have yet to find out just what an MSR bottle is. I guess I am just not with the times any more. I use a canteen from Wally World. $ 5.00 + tax. Bungee strap extra. Some rat stole my army canteen at a store. Hope he took a big swig before he figgured out it was premix. LOL!

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I have one of those aluminum water bottle. the mix gas ate away all the plastic liner in the first fill, little Weed Whacker Carby is doing okay though..... Now it's just straight aluminum and works very well, carries .6 liter of gas. I also have a stainless steel water bottle I'm considering using- that has no liner and would work well.

the MSR bottles are just like the water bottles but without the liner and a better plug. I had to replace the silicone gasket with a regular rubber one (from a garden hose) and it works well.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have dual 43cc Mitsubishi 2.2hp engines on my bike "Mr. Hyde", each with their own 30-ounce tank. It was very difficult to fill more than half their tanks on flat ground. I had to literally run the bike up a tree in order to add gas after less than 20 miles each day. It was impossible to fill to maximum because the bike had to be standing on its back tire and perpendicular to the ground.:eek:

Sooo, I installed a Happy Time teardrop tank on the top bar to feed both engines. The three tanks' fuel filters were removed and a FRAM inline filter installed after the petcock. Below the filter lies a t-fitting which fed 1/4" hoses and 3/16" steel lines towards the engines' tanks. Brass barb fittings were installed atop the engines' plastic tanks to link to the auxiliary teardrop tank.

When I filled the teardrop tank for the first time, the fuel did not flow down into the FRAM filter. I had to fill the engines' tanks directly thru their caps. Fuel finally filled the filter the next day, but has never flowed into the tanks.

The teardrop tank and FRAM filter is above the engines' tanks, but the lines might be below the engines' tanks' level. It's strange that absolutely no fuel siphoned downward while I'm riding "Mr. Hyde".

I'm carrying a 4 foot hose to siphon-feed both tanks from the teardrop tank until I solve this fuel delivery problem.

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Sounds like the lines have an air block(s) at the lowest point before the engines or an air leak in the lines. The petcock on the teardrop may be plugged. Solving the air leak problem is obvious.

For the air block, first make sure the teardrop cap is vented. A siphon won't flow unless it gets air above the level of fuel. Make sure the petcock is turned on. Test by disconnecting at the T and checking flow. Reconnect the line.

Remove the air block by removing the gas caps on the engines and slightly pressurizing the teardrop tank with it at least half full. This should force fuel through the lines to the engines, clearing the air block(s).

Be aware that the siphon probably won't stop when the engines' tanks are full. You will have to manually turn the petcock on/off.

After thinking about your setup for a while I have another idea. If you plug the vents on your engines' tanks' caps and seal the input lines at the top of the tanks coming from the teardrop, the engines should draw (from the very slight negative pressure from those itty bitty fuel pump diaphragms) directly from the teardrop to the engine tanks. When the engines aren't running, they won't draw. However any air leak in the lines would prevent this and also cause a fuel leak after they are shut down, even though you turn off the petcock.

This is interesting. Please keep us advised of the outcome.

Good luck.

Ted

PS - If you do set it up for drawing directly be advised that you will not be able to remove the engines' tanks' caps with fuel in all the lines. The tanks will overflow slightly. That may be of no concern to you, but I hate fuel spills however slight. Valves at the top of the tanks would allow you to do so.

You could also connect the teardrop lines directly to the carbs once the no siphon problem is solved.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
here's a thought, you said you are using a FRAM filter? Is it one for small engines or for a larger engine with a fuel pump, some of those larger filters need the pull of a pump however small. Gravity in that case just wouldn't be enough.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Fuel Delivery Problems

Instead of pirating this thread, I created a new one in "General Discussion".:ride2: