Legality of Whizzers

GoldenMotor.com

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Het guys, I've been on here for about a month now, and I'm looking to build a 80cc criuser(I know its only 66cc, but 80cc seems to be the accepted term) but I'm also interested in the new NE-R. But I have a question for all the Whizzer owners on here- have you had any problems registering your bike? Everyone and their grandmother says they're legal and can be registered as a moped, but in Kentucky, it only meets 2 of the 3 requirements to be a moped. It has the pedals, can't go over 30mph, but the engine is quite a bit larger than 50cc's, and this seems to be the general rule for a moped across the nation. So any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I read someplace that a guy here in MI just used the serial number off his bike frame, copied his receipt from buying his engine off ebay and they gave him a moped sticker. All he ended up having to do was pay the sticker fee and sales tax on the purchase of his motor. Bought an 80cc? Not too hard to change 80cc to 49cc in almost any word processing program. :D

ra42mario

Jul 26, 2009
ohio
Here in Ohio you need a title and it needs to be on the "approved" moped list from what I understand. if I can pass my bike off as a whizzer it would get a plate.

aberndt

Oct 1, 2009
nebraska
Experience in Nebraska. I took my new Whizzer NER into motor vehicles as I wanted to title it and get a plate. They refused saying it was a moped/as it looked like a bicycle and had pedals. Argument ensued as Nebraska statute defines a moped as less than 50 CC's and then there is a classification for "motor driven cycle" and then motorcycle. After explaining my case I got a call today saying I was right/I could register it as a motor driven cycle and get a plate/first the business I bought it from needed to take the MSO and get a title in their name and then transfer the title to me which I would register. Originally they just gave me the MSO.

Different issue/would like to hear from any NER owners on power issues/engagement of clutch-this thing is slower than my old whizzer climbing a hill and the EZ with the 50cc engine runs circles around it. Only thing I really like is the brakes/lights and looks to drool over-the EZ set up leaves it in the dust going up a hill.
al

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
.... Everyone and their grandmother says they're legal and can be registered as a moped, but in Kentucky, it only meets 2 of the 3 requirements to be a moped. It has the pedals, can't go over 30mph, but the engine is quite a bit larger than 50cc's, and this seems to be the general rule for a moped across the nation. So any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Only this much:
Everybody "knows" nothing.

In the US at least, every state has their own laws about motorized bicycles, and all don't allow the same things. You cannot assume that just because "it makes sense", or another state does it one way, that your own state will do it the same way.

Before you spend any money on any motorized bicycle parts, you need to find out your own state's laws, and the place you do that is at one of your own state's drivers' services facilities. If the people at the local place don't know, you can email your state's Secretary of State office from their website, and ask them. NOBODY else "knows" anything; especially nobody in another state.
~