Worksman Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
After having them in hand for several months, I was finally able to make the time today to mount my Worksman wheels on my Whizzer. These wheels are incredibly overbuilt, so they're perfect for overweight riders like myself. It was a fairly straightforward conversion, but I'm lacking the rear brake switch as the original Whizzer "pork chop" (coaster brake arm) will not fit the Shimano coaster brake without major modification. I still have my brake light activated by my front brake, and I'm kicking a few ideas around for the rear brake switch.
The chain sprocket is larger on the Shimano hub, so that necessitated fitting a half-link to the pedal chain.
The front wheel was an easy retrofit, as Debbie at Whizzer provided me with a WC-1 front brake anchor arm to mate up with the shorter anchor plate that the Worksman drum brake comes with. Worked like a charm!
I did a short test hop to check everything out and discovered that I need to readjust a belt or two. Otherwise, everything is great so far. I highly recommend converting to the heavier Worksman wheels if you're a heavier rider.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Chris,
I got outbid a few months ago on eBay... a set of NOS Worksman wheels and the front had the drum brake. I should have bid a little more, I guess, but no doubt those are my wheels, Chris!
Kidding, you know. They are great wheels. I had one of their folding bikes at one time and couldn't believe how well that thing was made and the wheels were so sturdy for a little bike. If I could afford it a Worksman cruiser would make a really sturdy ride. How do wheels look on your Whizzer? Do you notice any difference in the way it rides? That's a really fat tire, isn't it? What 2 1/2 inches? What did the Whizzer come with? Any pictures to share? I've seen a picture of that Whizzer of yours and it is something else.
Silverbear

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hey Chris,
I got outbid a few months ago on eBay... a set of NOS Worksman wheels and the front had the drum brake. I should have bid a little more, I guess, but no doubt those are my wheels, Chris!
Kidding, you know. They are great wheels. I had one of their folding bikes at one time and couldn't believe how well that thing was made and the wheels were so sturdy for a little bike. If I could afford it a Worksman cruiser would make a really sturdy ride. How do wheels look on your Whizzer? Do you notice any difference in the way it rides? That's a really fat tire, isn't it? What 2 1/2 inches? What did the Whizzer come with? Any pictures to share? I've seen a picture of that Whizzer of yours and it is something else.
Silverbear
Silverbear, the (chrome) Worksman wheels look great on the Whizzer, even with the whitewalls. I haven't taken any shots yet with the new wheels, but I'll try to take some this weekend (weather permitting). These wheels use the standard balloon tire, 24x2.125 (in my case) or 26x2.125 for the 26" Whizzers. The Whizzer NE-5 (and earlier WC-1) both came with the 2.125" wide tires, but the rims were optimized for 1.75" (middleweight) tires. I really wasn't paying attention to how they felt, as I was much more concerned about my slipping drive belt. I'll take the bike out tomorrow after work (provided it's not raining) to assess ride quality. However, the weather forecast isn't looking all that good.
I ordered my Worksman rims though Debbie at Whizzer, but they are also available by going onto Worksman's website or through Grainger. The Worksman wheels Grainger has are 26" only, and the front wheel is without a brake (and costs around $65.). The rear wheel has the Shimano EB-110 coaster brake, the same as on mine (and costs around $115.). Both are for the 26x2.125 tire and have the 11ga spokes.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
i took a ride on the bike with the new wheels. I haven't solved the belt slipping issue yet, but I did notice something else. Although I thought I had the bead seated correctly, the rear tire was in fact, not seated correctly. As a result, it was a bit out of round. The ride was about as smooth as Egyptian Whiskey.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chris & Jim,
Those bikes look so sharp! If I were a rich kid I'd get one, too. Chris, I had the same experience with the bead on the heavy duty rims I got from bikeworldusa. Pretty disappointed I was, until I realized what was wrong... let out the air, got the bead set right and what a difference that made.
Silverbear

whizzbang

Feb 5, 2009
anaheim ca.
Nobody mentioned how well the worksman wheel brake stops. I put a rear one with a shoe brake on my Whizzer and it dosen't stop as well as the original Whizzer coaster brake but it sure looks better.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Nobody mentioned how well the worksman wheel brake stops. I put a rear one with a shoe brake on my Whizzer and it dosen't stop as well as the original Whizzer coaster brake but it sure looks better.
I have the Worksman front drum (which isn't quite fully broken in yet) and the Shimano EB-110 rear coaster brake on my Worksman wheels. The Shimano has enough stopping power to darned near throw me over the handlebars. I quickly learned not to put as much foot into it as I did the Whizzer coaster brake. That combination of Worksman front and Shimano rear hauled me to a quick stop when a deer jumped out in front of me last weekend.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have the Worksman front drum (which isn't quite fully broken in yet) and the Shimano EB-110 rear coaster brake on my Worksman wheels. The Shimano has enough stopping power to darned near throw me over the handlebars. I quickly learned not to put as much foot into it as I did the Whizzer coaster brake. That combination of Worksman front and Shimano rear hauled me to a quick stop when a deer jumped out in front of me last weekend.
Chris,
That Shimano EB-110 coaster brake wheel... is that the one from bikeworldusa? If so, I'm glad to know what it's called. That would have saved me some hassles when I ordered a rear hub adapter and sprocket from the Manic Mechanic. Yeah, I worry some about deer where I live, too. That could be very bad news for man and beast.
Silverbear

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I also have the Worksman drum brake wheels both front and rear. Now that they are broken in I can stop on a dime and leave change. They do take a little while to brake in but they are far superior to the Whizzer brakes.

Jim

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Chris,
That Shimano EB-110 coaster brake wheel... is that the one from bikeworldusa? If so, I'm glad to know what it's called. That would have saved me some hassles when I ordered a rear hub adapter and sprocket from the Manic Mechanic. Yeah, I worry some about deer where I live, too. That could be very bad news for man and beast.
Silverbear
Silverbear, I'm not sure if BikeWorldUSA's rims have the Shimano or the Chinese copy of the Bendix coaster brake. I got my rims through Whizzer and specified the Shimano hub. The heavy rims I ordered for the Greyhound project were ordered through a local bike shop, and I again specified the Shimano hub.

Hey Chris,
Silverbear
You would be surprised how reasonable Worksman is to deal with, directly! They also sell their heavy duty chains, by the foot, so will give you any length you desire. I'm not sure how their chains add up to other chains mentioned on here. Just FYI

Mac-

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You would be surprised how reasonable Worksman is to deal with, directly! They also sell their heavy duty chains, by the foot, so will give you any length you desire. I'm not sure how their chains add up to other chains mentioned on here. Just FYI

Mac-
This old thread is like a blast from the past. Lost has happened since the thread was started. For one a Worksman cruiser frame came into my life and is now the foundation for the Indian Hiawatha I'm slowly putting together. I've purchased used Worksman wheels and also a new set directly from Worksman. They are good wheels for sure.
By the way, welcome to the forum. What is your ride? Post a photo or two when you can and tell us about motor bicycling in Porto Rico.
SB

Hello; I'm so happy I found this site! I've got the inspiration to create! $$$ is tight, but it's the price one pays for endless summers! I started a build in Michigan, back in 2003, but sold it (parts) when I had to come to Puerto Rico, so my (then) girlfriend could finish her education requirements... we split up, and I decided to stay here!

I got an extended cruiser frame off ebay, from seller; "cruisin' the low life". I bought a 24" worksman rear wheel, with thorn proof tube, Coaster brake. A 26" front wheel, with drum brake. thorn proof tubes, and those flame tread tires off ebay (3 1/2" rear, 2 1/4" front. I had a 48cc Grubee (back when he was just starting out), modest rise ape hangers, BMX three piece crank set, Whizzer fork... that's about as far as I got.

As far as my next build; I am putting it together in my mind, then I'll share it.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When you do your build be sure to post a thread. Good to have you here on the forum. Where you live must be a great place to ride a motorbicycle year round I would think.
SB