Keeping You Safe

GoldenMotor.com

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hello again, and thank you all for your wonderfull replies:) I would like to take just a moment to remind all riders about wheel bearings. As we (hopefully)
know these bikes travel at much higher speeds than the engineers designed them to go. And as summer in apon us (some of us)rotfl It would be a good
time to repack the wheel bearings. Use a GOOD grease and ajust the bearings
to where they are firm but not tight. Going over the rest of youre bike would not hurt also. Happy Rideing Trsmp

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
I think the next purchase - that i cannot afford :( is going to be a helmet... at least that'll give the cops less of an excuse to whinge at me..

Jemma xx

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I find that the police here in Tucson pay less attention to you when you wear a helmet. It just give's them one less reason to stop you in my opinion.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
From my misspent pre middle aged years as a cop, I can tell you without doubt that police officers in general do not want to waste their time with us. The exceptions being towns with enough officers to have special traffic enforcement divisions. Those guys live to write tickets.

A regular patrolman has to be really really bored to stop a biker unless we do something blatantly illegal. I routinely run stop signs but I would never do it if I saw a car anywhere let alone a cop car. I wear a lightweight Styrofoam helmet just to keep them on the inside of their cars.

I almost left home without it today but remembered just in time.

I did repack my bearing. I also changed drive wheels today on the ebike. I have screwed up a bunch of 20" coaster wheels. I think because they mostly go on kids bikes they are made more poorly. It's the hub part that goes bad for some reason.

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
Repacking the bearings is a good idea! I am definatly not an expert when it comes to repairs. I did though find out about bearing failure the hard way. I was on my way home from work, about 5 miles into the ride, when all of a sudden BLAMO! The rear hub broke on me! When I would try and pedal I would just sit there spinning my pedals and not going anywhere! Needless to say I had to walk the rest of the way home in the rain with my bike (17 miles)... :(. To top it all off, I had forgot to charge my cell phone the night before and my wife was at work. So the next day I took it into the local bike shop and asked them what could have caused the rear hub to break. The guy just took one look at the bike and said that he wasn't going to touch it. I guess he didn't like the fact that someone had brought in a bicycle with a motor attached... Stuck up spandex wearing snob! I asked him what it could be and all he said was that there is too much torque on the wheel from the motor. Have any of you guys heard of torque affecting the wheel hubs? Oh, another factor that was probably the biggest... I have had this bike for 11 years and have never done maintanance to it. I'm such an idiot!^5

Thanks,

Ben