So which one

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Deacon Years ago when their were no 4 1/2 grinders we used 8 or 10 inch ones.I had a wheel blow up and went into my stomach ,50 or so stitches later i had a new respect for them,never use one if you drop it,change the wheel, it will save you alot of pain.HARLEYS DAD

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
bench grinder.. grinding somthing, holding it with pliers hard against the wheel.. pliers slipped in and my thumb wedged between the wheel and tool rest... it hurts just thinking about it, but that's the worst injury I ever suffered from a tool.... I'v had a car fall on me ( '65 Rambler American ) which I was ok but still rode the streatcher in the back of the ambulance... the tire on the side of the car I was working on was still on the car.. which saved me.. only had maby 500# of suspension weight resting on me

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Gee whizz I thought the thumb with a quarter inch wide and inch and a half long grinder gash was bad. Those darn grinders are hard on the body.

I feel the same about that car on ya. I'm glad you made it. It sure could have been worse.

I never had one fall but I sure as heck worried about it happening. I put many of them on a cinder block while changing a starter. I was young and stupid but I remember my dad and his leaving one on a jack only. He went in to get a glass of water and the car fell.

He was really upset till he realized five minutes earlier and he would have been under it. I always blocked them when I was working under one because of that sight.

I guess I do learn a lesson now in then without having the car fall on me. Not often but not and then.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I learned by watching.

I saw a guy pull really hard on a brake spring (drum brakes, automotive) and when it slipped, he jabbed himself in the forehead with the needle nose pliers. He was O.K. after a few stitches.

I watched another guy using a screwdriver improperly and he ended up stabbing himself in the stomach (not requiring a hospital visit) when it slipped.

Yet another guy I worked with was unscrewing the anchor for a very large garage door, and when the last bolt pulled out, the mechanisim (with a few hundred pounds of cable and spring tension) shot up and took out most of his forehead. He almost died and was never the same.

Finally, though I have never really hurt myself working on the motorized bikes, I did do a truly idiotic thing while working on a motorcycle once. I had just completed a loooong total restoration on a '76 BMW R/600 and I was all gung ho to get a ride in. I had to drill the lisence plate so it would fit the European style plate mount. I drilled the first hole holding the plate out in front of me, the hole took forever to drill with nothing backing the plate up, so on the final hole I had to drill, I set the plate on MY THIGH.

As Paul Harvey would say, "You know the rest of the story."
Yes, I went to the hospital. Yes, it hurt.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Not a tool after porting and polishing the intake manifold.
I wanted to check the intake clearance on the bottom of the piston skirt.
Stuck my finger in the port and rocked the bike back and forth.
Just a little too far once It sucked my finger into the port and the piston came down.
That hurt for months after.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Hope you and the rambler are ok,A 65 american is heavvvvvey.HD
2,878 LBS gross weight... I was finishing up putting in new E-brake cables when it came down... my dad just jacked the car up, I crawled out.. I drove the car for a few months as a daily driver, then sold it because expensive parts in the suspension needed attention, and I didn't need another project... It was an unrestored survivor. driven from delivery date of 11/24/1964-2003 daily when the lady stopped driving it.. I bought it in April '08. and sold it in august of '08