My official testing of several different aftermarket CDIs

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No idea, Exo. But rest assured it didn't come from here. I'd check with your IP. Sounds like a local problem but we're innocent my friend.

Tom

exokinetic

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Forest, CA
No idea, Exo. But rest assured it didn't come from here. I'd check with your IP. Sounds like a local problem but we're innocent my friend.

Tom
In that case, I apologize for jumping to conclusions...

The timing seemed rather suspicious, but apparently it was merely coincidence.

I will contact my ISP, as I am still unable to connect.

Will PM you if I find anything interesting.

Thank you for the clarification.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
I've been a member of this (& other) forums for many years, & over the years, we've seen many shifty vendors posting here using fake names to give fake testimonials slandering other vendors products just to sell more of their own parts!

So Roadrash, you'll have to forgive me when I say that I'm highly suspicious of a newbee member who's only been here 1 month & his only 7 posts on this entire forum are praising CR Machine & HD Lightning (who are known shifty business partners) & slandering their competitions products.

I have nothing to gain, & I firmly stand behind my test results of these other CDIs being equal to the HDL.
I'll be doing even more detailed testing (including actual riding tests) & posting the results (good or bad) here.

#deadthreadted

What would you recommend for a torque built bike under a $50.00 range.

My bike info:

Seeutek pk80 66/80cc

Stock engine and head (not upgrading that yet.)

Banana pipes with a long offset intake.

Very interested in a CDI SET WITH A LONGER COIL WIRE TO PUT ON MY DOWN TUBE AREA.

IMAG0300.jpg

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
+-

I would go with a reed valve (& matching 3rd port with a windowed piston), Those Zeda/ MZ 65 expansion chambers are pretty good & also re- jet the carb.

I like my banana pipe it's not overbearing the vendor I go though is better then berry though eBay... I still have to rejet but considering I'm up for coil replacement budget matters after this month I'm ordering in bulk from mz.

Since I'm a tad lean probably only need a .75 jet but most of all I think my exhaust ports fine the intake side needs modification however all though offset is still a restriction if I can find some light tin steel I'll probably customize my old intake vain

Not sure if it's true that reeds go against torque builds.

Going with a 50/50 for torque and speed so I can build a trailer with its own accessory powered port.

Probably sell candy and ice cream in the summer out the rig. Lol

josh8180

Oct 23, 2016
Fred is a stand up guy that runs a straight business.
Fred really has nothing to do with HD Lightning except that he sells them.
Calling CR Machine shifty is out of line.
I agree. I'm not a promotor , but the Fred head is still the fastest smoothest running one I've tried. 90% of any concerns head out there is a china knockoff. At least Fred lowered costs to be fair. I get 2 mph more speed out of the Fred head , however I will admit it's a higher compression model it's 5cc most knockoffs are 6 or 7 cc which is lower compression , but still better than stock. I have a gas bike cdi. I think it's the thunder ( bought it a couple years ago) it made a huge difference in power , and I've run it on every bike I've built with stock magneto , and oz magneto , and the zeda 12 volt magneto. Whoever couldn't get the bike to run probably wired it wrong. I doubt he plugged he lightning because it actually came with wiring instructions+that's why it ran first try. Not everyone is up to no good here. People praise what works for them. Thanks Venice for the testing. Me personally won't spend 60+ dollars on a cdi when one from gas bike works for under $25. If I could make my own black box I'd just buy a generic cr copycat coil on ebay

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Seeing how this thread has been resurrected from the dead, I'll just add a little more info...

This post was started back in 2015 & I've had the very same Super Charge CDI on my race bike for exactly 3 years now without it failing!!

I use stock China CDI's on almost every bike I build; they have a faster timing advance than all the aftermarket CDIs , & they make almost every engine runs it's best.

When I build a "super fire breather' racing engine with a reed, high compression head & a real motorcycle expansion chamber pipe, I'll at least try to use the stock box first, & if it doesn't perform right, then I'll try a Super Charge to retard the timing a little bit, (which usually helps smooth it out & run cooler).

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
This post was started back in 2015 & I've had the very same Super Charge CDI on my race bike for exactly 3 years now without it failing!!.
Hi Norm, we missed you at the March 31st Grange race.
The Novice and Expert China girl class is heating up with new competitors #187 Weston and 480 Joe coming in 2nd and 3rd behind #40 Loren on the Arrow bike.

Are you racing on Sat May 5th at Willow Springs?

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Seeing how this thread has been resurrected from the dead, I'll just add a little more info...

This post was started back in 2015 & I've had the very same Super Charge CDI on my race bike for exactly 3 years now without it failing!!

I use stock China CDI's on almost every bike I build; they have a faster timing advance than all the aftermarket CDIs , & they make almost every engine runs it's best.

When I build a "super fire breather' racing engine with a reed, high compression head & a real motorcycle expansion chamber pipe, I'll at least try to use the stock box first, & if it doesn't perform right, then I'll try a Super Charge to retard the timing a little bit, (which usually helps smooth it out & run cooler).

Thanks for the update super charged is what I'm looking for

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a very interesting video that dyno tests a stock CDI against the new 'high peformance' - HD Lightning Strike CDI... It proves what I've been saying, (that the stock CDI actually makes more HP)!!

Reactions: Tyler6357

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Here's a very interesting video that dyno tests a stock CDI against the new 'high peformance' - HD Lightning Strike CDI... It proves what I've been saying, (that the stock CDI actually makes more HP)!!

I have no horse in that race. BUT I will say that kind of testing, is not nearly as unbiased as his claims. I would say, run the test - run it by someone uninvolved AND have the person completely blind to which CDI is being tested. I'm not saying this to start or continue the battle, just at 60 years old and involved in all forms of research for 40 years, bias is real and everywhere.

Reactions: MotorBicycleRacing

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have no horse in that race. BUT I will say that kind of testing, is not nearly as unbiased as his claims. I would say, run the test - run it by someone uninvolved AND have the person completely blind to which CDI is being tested. I'm not saying this to start or continue the battle, just at 60 years old and involved in all forms of research for 40 years, bias is real and everywhere.

Please explain what is biased about this test???
Are you saying that having a different person plug in the CDIs (& run the dyno) will make some kind of difference???

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There is a reason science uses double blind testing.
Rob rigged that video. Maybe even subconciously.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I am not saying he purposely rigged anything. But yes, even the delta HP may be within the margin of error.

As I stated. At the very least a person should not know which is which.
I started this thread over 3 years ago with the intent of offering 'some kind' of testing & proof of how these CDIs actually perform against each other.
I know mine weren't the most scientific tests, but I was tired of all the non-stop BS from manufacturers arguing that their (CDIs) are the best; (& to this day, still not a single one has stepped up to provided proof of their claims here)!!

& here we are (once again) with two more people (Neil & Pablo), offering NOTHING BUT NEGATIVITY, (& ZERO HELP) in proving proof of what these parts actually do.

Please.... It's been 3 years already!!!! ... Put your money where your mouths are & do some 'unbiased' tests of your own for us all to see!!!!!!
& until you actually do your own tests (& post them here)... PLEASE KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE MOUTHS SHUT & STAY OFF THIS THREAD!!

Reactions: indian22

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow. OK man. I was not criticizing you or your thread. I actually think this is a great thread. I actually commend you for bringing some of the claims down to earth. I do apologize for not being clear about that. I was commenting on the video, not you. If you think my comments are negative, then fine. It's the world as I see it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Wow. OK man. I was not criticizing you or your thread. I actually think this is a great thread. I actually commend you for bringing some of the claims down to earth. I do apologize for not being clear about that. I was commenting on the video, not you. If you think my comments are negative, then fine. It's the world as I see it.
I really hate to repeat myself.... why don't you provide us some tests of your own???? (it's been over 3 years now of nothing but talk)!

(& this video is also doing tests (that you're not)!!