What if i get pulled over???

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Hey guys i just bought a 66cc engine and the limit here is 48cc what do i do if i get pulled over? I will be staying under the 20mph limit
drn2

rjs467

Feb 5, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. My Provincial Ministry of Transportation seemed OK with the fact that my MB engine is a 66CC unit. But my local city police seemed a bit less tolerant that the motor is above the Motor Assisted Vehicle power limit of 49CC. I guess you just "chance it." Be polite in the path of others. DON'T ride on walk ways of any kind. Including walking and biking pathways. Use the road traffic curb-edge path instead. Wear both a helmet and a reflective vest. On my bike, I even installed an air horn. My NHL scored goal horn! People hear it and move.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Officers know by the engine's size and the noise, I was told by a buddy who has three Harley bikes.
it must be true his buddy told him........
truth be told most people can not hear the differnce between a 48cc and a 66cc just pull the metal id plate and ride it and stay under 20mph and follow all traffic laws

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
66cc is close to 50cc.. They are not going to stop you and take your motor apart to measure its bore and stroke. They can not say it's over 50cc without serious probable cause and these motors are to darn small to say it's over 50cc. So I wouldn't worry. Plenty of people here ride 66cc, have gotten pulled over. Never have I read that someone got the bike impounded because they magically found it to be over 50cc. Heck, people are taking the 99cc predator 4 stroke and slapping a 50cc sticker on it and riding around no problem.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
We have the same 48cc limit here in Tucson.

First I register my bike at http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/

Reason one for doing this you get to fill out your registration yourself and I always add that it is a 48cc. Example- "Specialized Hardrock MTB 48cc"

Second reason is it shows proof of ownership.

Then I stamp 48cc right below the jug on both sides (See photo)

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's a pretty good idea Super Dave!
Only prob is I'm too cheep to spring for the 10 bucks fee. By golly, that could possibly get me almost 300 miles on down the road on my motorized bicycle!
How about we have a Log ur Numbers thread here on the forum?
..a nice service for members??

I don't know there is any way to tell the size of an HT motor without measuring the bore and stroke after dis-assembling the engine.
Mine was sold to me as a 48.
That's what it is.

rc

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
In Tucson, the TPD has been confiscating MB's if you cannot prove ownership. Its a little loop hole they use sometimes to get you off the road.

Once impounded, if you cannot prove ownership you will never get it back. Thats why I register my bikes ;)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh Gosh!

Tnx for the head's up, Dave!

...if one municipality is doing it for a tax grab, it will probably overflow to others...

I suppose I'd better get my paperwork logged on all the parts bikes. just in case

rc

Gosh, I'm straying from the OP.

IF I get un-needed attention, my position will be it's a bicycle with an assist 'cuz my health doesn't allow me to pedal very well so I designed and built it below the department of motor vehicle requirements.
That being said, I once had a patrolman tell me that more people talk themselves INTO a ticket than OUT of one.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hey guys i just bought a 66cc engine and the limit here is 48cc what do i do if i get pulled over? I will be staying under the 20mph limit
drn2
Well HI Len, I build these things here in Phoenix and been riding a Jackshafted race tuned 66cc well over 20MPH for over a year with no cop problems.
In fact I've had an occasion where I was tooling along at 35 on a 40MPH road and a cruiser with two cops pulled alongside me to pass.
I just looked over, smiled and nodded, they smiled and nodded and went on past.

As mentioned above remove any indication of motor size, and then just drive 'friendly' seems to work for me. Then again what cop is going to want to screw with a 50 year old man wearing a helmet, glasses and gloves driving responsibly right? Hehehe, Ya, one of the few perks of getting old ;-}

I have a petition up on my web site to get AZ law bumped to 66cc and 30MPH on my web site, please stop by and sign it.
I started it last year but couldn't get a House Rep to bring it up until after the window for new bills passed, but I do have one now that will bring it up in the next legislative session.

Reactions: Frank c

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Just want to share something I found out referring to my post #7 and more important to my post # 9 in this thread.

I recently found out that the University of Arizona will register your bicycle for free. Another great way to prove ownership and to recover your Motorized Bicycle if it is ever stolen.

In the past we (Tucson) had police that would confiscate your bike if you could not prove ownership. I also know of two that had their motorized bicycle stolen and found them at the police impound. But without proof of ownership they had no way to get the police to release the bikes to them. Receipts is all they had and the police department would not except that.

So if you live in a town with a University or even one near by, maybe you would like to look into registering your bicycle with them and maybe like the U of A it will be free.

I already have my bikes registered with https://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/ but went ahead and registered my HardRock and BoXer with the U of A

Attachments

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Great bit of advice Dave. Nothing could be worse then finally locating a bike that was stolen from you only to find out you're not getting it back because you can't prove ownership. That sure would bite!