Using Whelen LED for Hazard Lights

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I bought a decommissioned Crown Victoria Police Cruiser recently, and the city I bought it from took all police paraphernalia out of the car accept for the 2 lights in the trunk that show when the trunk lid is up.
I pulled them out tonight and was going to use them as tail lights for my bike.
They are 12v LED and quite bright, and to my surprise have the Wig Wag system built into them without needing a controller!
I am using old WWII ammo cans as Panniers bolted to my bike rack, and going to put a battery system in them and mount these lights.

SHOULD KEEP ME VISIBLE!

I am sending pics to my email from my phone. They are taking longer than expected to get here. Will post tomorrow.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got my WWII ammo box panniers permanently mounted tonight and was able to mount one of the Whelen LED lights to one of them and temporarily wire it to a battery for a trial run.
Pics attached.

Think people will see me?

Attachments

Last edited:

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got it all hooked up. Headlight and Whelen Tail light.
Works great. Took it out for a test ride tonight.
The pic is in my garage with garage lights off.
You can see how bright the lights are.
I decided to only use one of the Whelen lights because it is so bright, and to extend the life of my battery.
I am going to add some side marker lights to the ammo boxes next.

Attachments

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got the side marker lights installed.
They work great!
Check out the pics. I don't think people will have a hard time seeing me.
I've got it set up with a small rechargeable Lead Acid battery like a lawn mower would use.

Attachments

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Got to ride around tonight with the lights on, had to make a minor adjustment to the battery box because it bounced around and disconnected it self, but the lights are so bright!
I was able to ride around the neighborhood comfortably, even look around because the headlight is bright enough that my peripheral vision sees it well.
I even felt comfortable enough to get the bike up to top speed! When I had a speedometer, that was between 30 and 35 mph and the bike runs better now than then because of some other improvements I have done to it.

It is so nice to finally have the bike running well!dance1

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
awesome I think I will have to get those lights or some like them and put on mine I have been thinking about getting lights for my bike that's a lot brighter than the bicycle lights u get at wallmart I definetly want a better headlight that's for surethan the one I have now

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I got 2 of those Whelen lights in. They came in my crown vic that I bought from the police station here.
I cant decide if I should put them both on my motorbike, or build a custom one for my Road bike (no motor) as well.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Been using the bike with these lights for a while now. Great results. All LED so the 12v deer feeder battery that I use lasts FOOREEVERRRR!
The 10 watt front headlight is almost too bright. I worry about blinding other drivers sometimes.