No DL for motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Do you think that motorized should require a DL?

• Yes, a valid drivers license should be required.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, a valid drivers license should not be required.

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Re: No DL for motorized bicyclesr

No matter how we feel about this we have to have restrictions, sometimes we have to protect people from themselves . I would hate to see a fourteen year old kid get run over on a m/b because he didn't know the rules of the road. Then we would all be subject to even stricter laws.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Re: No DL for motorized bicyclesr

No matter how we feel about this we have to have restrictions, sometimes we have to protect people from themselves . I would hate to see a fourteen year old kid get run over on a m/b because he didn't know the rules of the road. Then we would all be subject to even stricter laws.
"Protecting people from themselves" never works and it's the main avenue to fascism. Stupid has always been what stupid does and laws will never change that. Many laws are stupid, put into place because of stupidity. Restrictions don't restrict stupid. If anything, they just increase stupidity. "Common sense" isn't even common anymore.

The problem is people generally lack the ability to act responsible, instead giving in to the easiest way to satisfy their base desires.
Then all of this is compounded by greed.

John76

Aug 8, 2014
Pekin, Illinois
Funny, I am tired of people that can't see the difference between someone drunk getting into a comfortable 1 ton car and hurtling it down the highway to that same drunk trying to ride a motorized bike.

If you can't balance you fall over and even if you made it to the street all you could hurt is yourself.

Here in Phoenix, AZ Sheriff Joe does DUI checkpoints whenever he can get away with it and will arrest you if you are even close to .08 BAC because you had a couple of gasses of champagne on New Years and the ensuing fines and crap pretty much wipe out any money you have now and the foreseeable future.

That said, I think something like a certificate of completion of a 'Bicycle Safety' course you can get anywhere for $5 would be a good safety measure.
You do need to know how to operate a bike in traffic and rules.

BUT, people need to get to work, the store, and yes even the bar, but unlike a car if you are staggering drunk your MAB won't let you go far on it.

'Nuff said.
I agree with you completely, the bicycle safety certification is a very good idea. that makes more sense than requiring a dl for an mb, since a dl really doesn't cover bicycle rules of the road or bicycle saftey like a bike safety course would.usflg

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I disagree completely.

The standard for drinking on a motorized bicycle should be "able to ride w/o falling over"?

Really? This sounds like a good standard?

When I was 16, my friend and I got into his parents booze locker and had 3 shots of whiskey each. And then we each drank a bottle of wine. About a half hour later I puked. I was about 160 lbs and I am pretty sure my BAC was ~.25%. I hopped on my bike and rode home. About a mile and a half. Didn't fall over once. I was 3 times over the drunk limit. You are well into the drunk zone before you can't stand up anymore or balance a bicycle.

CA requires an M2 for a gas bike. Essentially a motorcycle license. A car DL is not enough to meet the law, you need M1 or M2.

I do not favor letting anyone with a proven track record of irresponsible behavior on the road period. They can't do any damage eh? Not going to put a scratch in my car? Not going to hit a pedestrian? If he wipes out in front of me and I run over his head I'm going to feel real bad and I'm going to be in a paperwork nightmare. Not to mention I'm going to be paying for it all myself because insurance is not required.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Definition of IMPAIRED
: being in a less than perfect or whole condition: as a : disabled or functionally defective—often used in combination <hearing-impaired>
b : intoxicated by alcohol or narcotics <driving while impaired>

Now I have met many impaired drivers and not all of them drink!
so maybe we should go for an driving impaired law then you can bring IQ
and state of mind into the fold that would sure clear up the lanes.

I don't agree with drunk driving nor do I drive intoxicated however
I am getting tired of the do gooders deciding what's best for me
just so that they can have the illusion of safety.

almost broke my neck getting out of bed this morning should beds be illegal
now? :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I agree a 14 year old has no business on a motorized bike, the rule here is 16 years old which is driving age and I don't sell to kids period.

I agree with you completely, the bicycle safety certification is a very good idea. that makes more sense than requiring a dl for an mb, since a dl really doesn't cover bicycle rules of the road or bicycle safety like a bike safety course would.usflg
Yep, and this is not about letting impaired people drive, it's about not requiring people to know how to operate a car on the freeway, legal length of a trailer, how to parallel park, bla bla bla... to add a little powered help to their bicycle isn't it?