Another solid gas tank mount alt.

GoldenMotor.com

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
As we all know that the stock gas tank studs will eventually leak do to vibration and or over tightening. Well after my tank started to leak for a second time I got to thinking. There has got to be a way to mount without putting a lot of stress on the welds. So I sanded those areas and put a washer a nut used this metal patch stuff called quick steal is like a putty. Built it up to the bolt set another washer on it finished it off with bondo. Grabbed some light weight steel and fabricated my own clamps and used the cheap stock ones by turning them up side down and slit washer washer nut. I had to play with it and open up the hole a bit because I wanted the tank to be close as possible to the top tube. Put some light weight rubber on the clamps and tightened it all up and five tank fills with no problems what so ever.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good idea. Thanks for sharing it.

There is an alternative to your method that you might want to explore. Using a product made for sealing automotive window glass into the tracks. It is called glass setting tape. It is a rubberized compound that gets sticky when you wet it with a solvent then dries and holds well. I lay a layer of it between the tank and bike frame, set the tank on and snug up the nuts on the studs. There is no need to tighten the nuts and once the sealing tape sets up the tank will not move and it is somewhat cushioned from shock and vibration.
Just another approach to a pesky problem.

Tom