26" or 29" cruiser Which one "New in the Game"

GoldenMotor.com

dominicano3o5

Nov 18, 2013
miami
hey im new to this motor bike hobby and was planning on building one. well my plan is buying one of those 80cc motor kit and slapping it one a beach cruiser. i really one something that will be good for Top Speed down where i'm from they race them long run top speed so im trying to know which one would be good a 26" wheel or a 29" cruiser?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there are 9 bolts to secure a rag joint for the rear sprocket - if the number of spokes of the rear wheel isn't divisible by 9, it will be very hard to get the sprocket on straight & tight

some 29s have weird spoke counts, most 26s have 36 spokes which is about the perfect number

if both bikes you're looking at don't have 36 spokes, then pick the one that does

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Why not have both. I put a 29" fork on my 26" frame and I'm very satisfied with the look, the feel and the ride.
Also before you mess around with a standard sprocket setup attached to the spokes, consider a rear sprocket adaptor. You will need to step up to a 415 chain and a 415 front drive sprocket. Some simple cutting and grinding on the cover plate for chain clearance is needed, but the 415 is much more reliable than the standard 210 chain. The adaptor and sprocket are machined from billet aluminum and are considerably lighter than the standard set up made of steel.
The adaptor puts the torque to the hub where it belongs, and you have a wide verity of sprockets to choose from.
The adaptor requires a 1.5" dia. rear hub, 36 hole rim with a 4 cross spoke pattern. It takes all of about 5 minutes to install and adjust. Don't forget to use locktite on everything... Have fun.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
though I sell sprockets modified to fit coaster brakes, and will do repairs on them, I refuse to build a coaster brake setup for a customer