Grubee Skyhawk 66 cc Totally seized

GoldenMotor.com

dtawse

Aug 19, 2013
Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia Canada
I was riding my motorized mountain bike recently one day when it suddenly seized solid and I almost lost control as I skidded to a stop.
The engine had been loosing power going uphill, but I thought it was a fuel problem as I discovered the fuel filter was clogged up with sludge.

I dismantled my engine and found the piston seized in the cylinder, the top piston ring was gone, the bottom piston ring was broken in half.
After removing the cylinder I discovered the needle bearing located at the top end of the piston rod was completely disintegrated.
Removing the piston, I found two deep scars in the side of the piston.
I then completely stripped the engine in order to clean out all the metal bits found throughout the engine itself.
I was going to rebuild the engine with new parts, but I damaged one of the engine shafts while taking it apart. Now I have to buy a new engine !
A new engine only costs $100.00 from the supplier my original kit purchase from.dance1

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a bummer. I suppose it'll happen to most of us sooner or later.

There are those who like to rebuild these engines, just as you were starting to do.

I could definitely be interested in doing it and learning about it. But even after simplifying my life a great deal in the last five years or so I simply have too many other 'must do's. I just don't have the time to get very deep into these engines when they can be replaced for a hundred bucks and an hour of labor.

Of course, one of my 'musts' is a pretty good deal of sleep. I've always had that problem. Maybe these guys who can tinker with engines are the same guys who can get by on five and a half hours daily.

It must be nice.......