First Build, Project Green Time

GoldenMotor.com

tunerhead001

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hey guys,
Been lurking for a while, trying to learn all that I could from what information was already available on this and a few other forums before I really bothered posting anything.
In any case, how I discovered this hobby (of sorts) was kinda sudden and by accident. I repair appliances for a living and my one client who is retired and in his ample spare time an avid classic motorcycle builder/racer. So he always has interesting things going on in his garage. The last time I was there to look at something (about a month ago) he had two bikes there with motors bolted into the frame which I thought was extremely interesting. I asked about them and he said they were kits, and he and his friend race them around their neighborhood sometimes. (one was a cruiser, the other was a small female mtb that he cut and rewelded to accept the motor)
So I thought, "I need to do this...right now." and immediately discovered this mini culture of tinkerers and a decent amount of information about how to put'em together and make'em better. All good stuff. Long story short, I found a old mtb, picked out a kit, and got to work.

Once I got it together it ran ok. I don't know a whole lot about 2 strokes yet but I'm getting there. It didn't really like to start all that easily and doesn't make much power (no surprise), so the improvements started. Cleaned up the intake manifold and its gasket, sbp plug wire and front mount dual brake pull, brake pads, upgraded hardware, retorqued head, etc.
Then I decided since it doesn't really start and seems to hates high revs, I either need a jaguar or to make my own. This project is really intended to be both a technical learning experience and as cheap as possible. So I made my own and so far it seems to work a bit better. Starts the first time and doesn't go crazy (4stroke?) at high rpm. And that's where I'm at now. I need a better tensioner solution and exhaust (might make one, might get a voodoo pipe). Have a speed carb with an offset manifold and hi-flow filter that's going on soon so I'll post more once I get that done.

Thanks for checking it out my Project Green Time!

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nice bike. One comment. Its not a hobby "of sorts", its a hobby. In fact to some of us its more than that. I passed hobby a long ways back. For me, its a passion, and a lifelong one if I've got any say in the matter. Its not only something I love to do, its my main transportation. My wife does have a car, and I go places in the car with her (I dont and have never had a driver's license out of choice). But since we both work, my bike is what gets me back and forth to my job. I also recently made the jump from kit to fully custom, with a 98cc minibike engine and motorcycle forks on a reproduction Schwinn frame. I built the entire bike piece by piece, for around $800. The kits are a good beginner's step. Some are even comfortable staying at that level, and there is nothing wrong with that. It took me over 3 years to get comfortable with the idea of going custom. I've actually got my next custom build planned, though it may be a few years if ever till I even get started on that one. It'll be 3 times the cost of my current build, and I'll need a much better work space than what I've currently got. Just want you to realize there is much more to this hobby than just these little 2 smoker kits.

tunerhead001

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yea that's actually exactly what I meant when I said it. It's clearly more involved than doing needlepoint and I am aware that some ppl use it as a main mode of transportation. That's why I said 'of sorts' - because it's more than what you see immediately on the surface, not less. It's learning, and tinkering, and improving, and R&D work for somebody (such as myself) who would otherwise never have the opportunity to do (like on a race car or w/e).

And like I said, I've been reading and researching what ppl here have been doing and am quite intrigued by what I see. I am aware of ppl making their own frames and using different motors and whatnot. It's all very impressive. A whole world that I was unaware of as of a month ago. On top of these forums I see all these vendors and shops selling whole custom jobs that look amazing. It's actually overwhelming to look at these and then consider what I have done and what I'm capable of so far. A little discouraging too, seeing as my build(s) won't be looking nearly as nice anytime soon (if ever), due to skills and funds.

But I am just excited to get started and wanted to show what I've done so far.
I do appreciate your looking and compliment!

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Glad to have you here. A good electronics person is always helpful as well. Here is something I tell everyone. "Just when you get your bike exactly like you want it; you'll discover a way to make it even better".

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Tunerhead, I apologize that I misunderstood you. I think you've got exactly the right point of view here. As far as your build and skill level, we all start somewhere. My first build was a $129 Kmart beach cruiser. I knew nothing about mechanics, and effed up the kit installation pretty bad. I didn't even know this forum existed back in 2009, and it took me about 4 months and numerous phone conversations with my dad to get my bike truly roadworthy. Luckily, I did figure it all out eventually, because I ended up having to move 50 miles on my bike after splitting up with my ex wife. I ended up staying with a friend for awhile, and gave him that bike in lieu of rent so that I could build another, a huffy cranbrook on sale at walmart for $75. I took what I had already learned and applied it to my second build, which initially came out better.The only problem with that bike was that I kept changing it to get the look I wanted. Eventually I gave up on that and started working on performance. I installed a high compression head and a performance exhaust. Then I had electrical issues for the umpteenth time and the bike wouldn't start. I got tired of fixing the bike, and a buddy offered me this 98cc 4 stroke engine for $50. I started planning a new build and gathering parts with whatever money I could scrounge up, and a few months later it was finished. I even impressed myself with how good it looked, how it performed and handled, and the relatively short amount of time I was able to complete it in. I did most of the work myself, but I did have some help from a buddy. I probably wouldn't have been able to finish it without him. As far as funds go, drive what is cheap to drive and fix, especially if you plan on using it to commute. When you decide what kind of bike you really want, start planning it and get parts as you can afford. Other members here may even be willing to help you out. Some parts were given to me, and I didnt even have to ask. They just offered. I would have waited a year to build this bike if I'd had to. I just wanted it done right the first time, and wanted to have all the parts I wanted on hand before I started. That way I didn't have to use a part that I didnt really want, only to dick around changing it later (with the exception of my rear wheel. I traded for it, and it was not in the condition I expected it to be in, so in order to somewhat justify the trade I did what I could to get as much mileage out of it as possible, got 300 miles out of it and its being replaced today). Sorry I'm a little long winded. It is possible to go from kit to custom, even on a tight budget. But the kits are a good starting point.

tunerhead001

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, really appreciate it. Just found a pic of your build butterbean and I am really impress with how that looks. Very professional and functional. Is it decently fast?

Btw just got my offset manifold the other day. Clean it up with dremel as best I could. Not perfect but it should work. Feels pretty smooth. Had to grind down around where is bolts to the motor to clear the washers (annoyingly). But got it together with the new speed carb and air filter. Not expecting a huge change, but maybe a little extra torque would be nice. Unfortunately the fuel line is too short so I gotta wait till tmrw to see how it works...

tunerhead001

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Update:
Tensioner problem is permanently resolved. Found a badass spring-loaded tensioner that bolts onto the gear cover with a skateboard wheel and all the hardware. All for 40 bucks! I've had very things with my projects work out anywhere near as well as this thing. (I discovered today that the guy who sells them is on here somewhere: turbobuick1 - Thanks dude, awesome work) If I build more bikes, I swear I will use this part on every one of them.
Also got the other parts hooked up (fuel line, air filter, etc.) and reverted back to a "Simple CDI." I only made the one off of the old design from rohmell, but he did say that you'll need to tweak a couple things. Just saw the "modified cdi and cr80 coil" thread, think I'll try building one of theirs after I read through a few times.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you are having problems related to the cdi, you should check to see if you have one of the kits with a bad magnet.
Apparently, some kits recently have been coming with an incorrect keyway which retards or advances the timing too much to allow good running.
This thread describes what to look for.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=499433