Kansas not motorized bicycle friendly

GoldenMotor.com

bigrskip

Jul 1, 2012
Kansas
Kansas Bicycle Law

Kansas bicycle law includes power-assisted bicycles. Assisted bicycles only add power to the pedal stroke of a rider and cannot propel a vehicle without rider power input. Kansas bicyclists must adhere to normal traffic rules governing other vehicles upon roadways, according to the KDOT. Kansas bicycle law requires cyclists to ride as far to the right side of the road as possible and signal turns with proper hand signals. Kansas requires front headlamps, rear reflectors and pedal reflectors for night cycling. Kansas cyclists must use available bicycle lanes or paths if available, and may not ride on roadways if bicycle-specific provisions exist. Low power cycles cannot provide more than one brake horsepower in addition to rider power.

Kansas Moped Law

Kansas defines mopeds as vehicles having less than 130-cubic inch engines capable of no more than 3.5 brake horsepower. These vehicles may not exceed speeds of 30 miles per hour on flat ground. Vehicles defined as mopeds in Kansas require obtaining an operator's license. Mopeds require vehicle registrations and license plates. Bicycles with gasoline or electric engines capable of propelling the vehicle without rider-assisted power generally receive moped definitions in Kansas. Kansas moped law includes all low power cycles with brake horsepower above one. Mopeds require registration and insurance for legal operation in Kansas.

Read more: Kansas Motorized Bicycle Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6804828_kansas-motorized-bicycle-laws.html#ixzz20439i1Js

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Kansas Bicycle Law

Kansas bicycle law includes power-assisted bicycles. Assisted bicycles only add power to the pedal stroke of a rider and cannot propel a vehicle without rider power input. Kansas bicyclists must adhere to normal traffic rules governing other vehicles upon roadways, according to the KDOT. Kansas bicycle law requires cyclists to ride as far to the right side of the road as possible and signal turns with proper hand signals. Kansas requires front headlamps, rear reflectors and pedal reflectors for night cycling. Kansas cyclists must use available bicycle lanes or paths if available, and may not ride on roadways if bicycle-specific provisions exist. Low power cycles cannot provide more than one brake horsepower in addition to rider power.

Kansas Moped Law

Kansas defines mopeds as vehicles having less than 130-cubic inch engines capable of no more than 3.5 brake horsepower. These vehicles may not exceed speeds of 30 miles per hour on flat ground. Vehicles defined as mopeds in Kansas require obtaining an operator's license. Mopeds require vehicle registrations and license plates. Bicycles with gasoline or electric engines capable of propelling the vehicle without rider-assisted power generally receive moped definitions in Kansas. Kansas moped law includes all low power cycles with brake horsepower above one. Mopeds require registration and insurance for legal operation in Kansas.

Read more: Kansas Motorized Bicycle Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6804828_kansas-motorized-bicycle-laws.html#ixzz20439i1Js
KEY WORDS: capable of propelling the vehicle without rider-assisted power.

These bikes require peddling to get started so they are rider-assisted powered. Call the local captain or sherrif's office and they should confirm it. I know there are riders in Ks. I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure on this one.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
KEY WORDS: capable of propelling the vehicle without rider-assisted power.
That would preclude all gas bikes and all throttle only electric bikes..
With gas powered bikes, it's a non-issue as pedaling at first is not inclusive of rider-assisted power.. Thats to START the engine and not "rider-assisting power" to the motor...
Same thing golds true to throttle only electric bikes... There's no "pedal assist" as the rider can decide to pedal with the motor or not..
For electric assist, it would have to be a pedal assist ONLY (PAS) system.

That however doesn't mean, you can't register your bike as a moped, thus making it legal / motorized bicycle friendly...

Kansas isn't "unfriendly", it just requires you to have a license and register it.
(much like California-and California isn't refered to as "unfriendly" either).

Just my thoughts on the matter...
(Also, since all states have that "reciprocity" in terms of registration and licensing, it would also make you legal in all other states that don't normally allow "mopeds" on their roads... I don't see the "problem"..)

P.S. The part of the original post, that was missed (or intentionally "forgotten") was..
Bicycles with motors capable of propelling vehicles under motor power alone must adhere to Kansas moped laws.

Last edited:

Kansas Kid

Apr 30, 2013
Kansas
I contacted the KDOR and this is what I got:

"In order for the moped to be considered as a motorized bike it will need to be 130CC or less, it can not go over 30 mph, it has to have automatic transmission, and it needs to have 31/2 brake horsepower. If it passes all of these requirements then it is considered as a motorized bike. If it is a motorized bike then you will need a motorized bike tag, you will need a driver's license, but you do not have to have insurance.

Thank you,

Megan"

Driver License/Revenue/KDOR
04/11/2013 08:35 AM

So the next question was how do I get a motorized bike tag? I will post the answer when I get it

Last edited:

Jbomb

May 19, 2012
Wichita, KS.
We need a VIN number is Kansas in order to register/tag a moped or motorized bike. How do we go about getting a VIN? Also, our manual clutch seems like it would not be considered an automatic transmission, even though there is only one speed. Shift kits would definitely disqualify a motorized bicycle if I understand correctly.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
My state Tennessee has an automatic transmission requirement. I don't have a manual clutch but I do use a shiftkit. However my bike shifts all 5 gears automatically. Another autoshift system to consider is the Kilduff shifter used with a 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Kansas Bicycle Law

Kansas Moped Law

"Bicycles with gasoline or electric engines capable of propelling the vehicle without rider-assisted power generally receive moped definitions in Kansas."

Since when is the word "generally" written into ANY vehicle law, regardless of what state you live in? Somebody is obviously not sure what they're talking about. LMAO

Feb 19, 2013
Wichita KS
The clutch does not make it a manual at all. It is only putting it in nutural. You still have to phisicaly put a automatic car from nutural to drive.

The Sherifs Station won't assign a VIN# only because a moped does not qualify as a "Motor Vehicle". The Sheriffs Station only assigns a VIN# to Motor Vehicles.

Wichita doesn't care if you ride as long as your not a jackass and braking other laws. Goddard is putting up a big stink about it and makes me pedal to the bike path.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
In a automatic car you don't have to put it into neutral when you stop at a stop sign or traffic light. Nor do you have to manually use any kind of clutch or manually shift gears. Many states specifically say automatic transmission no manual clutching or shifting gears by the operator. Even though you may only have one gear ratio you still have to manually use a clutch. A gearbox with a centrifugal clutch is viewed as an automatic transmission system. All you have to do is apply your brakes to stop and use your throttle to start moving.

So to conclude no manual clutches from a legal standpoint aren't considered part of an automatic transmission system.