Michigan laws help

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i read about Michigan laws and says i might need a moped license or registrationsome sort of license i read that a few people on here from Michigan have got them , i don't mind paying the money($15 i think) and dont want to get into trouble if i ever get pulled over ty.
i am 50 years old and got a motorbike and car license.

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
to have an assisted pedal bicycle in Michigan on the road you need to get a moped registration or whatever,

is this what you need to be legal in Michigan

Proof of motor purchase
proof of bike purchase
headlight, turn signals, horn, brake light and mirror.
Generic certification (form TR-34) indicating that I had assembled the vehicle.
Moped Certification (SOS-430).
Vehicle Number and On-Road Equipment Inspection (TR-54).

will i be able to get a 80cc kit or a 49 kit???

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
Anyone ????
i just need to know what i need any help will be appreciated
anyone from Michigan that's got a license and how did you get it??.
i just want to be legal to ride my bike when i build it ,
ty.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey oldpot,

Really sorry you haven't had a reply in almost a month. I'm in West MI, have my Moped cert for the bike and can answer a couple questions. First, 50cc and 2hp max so the 66/80cc kits you see sold on CL saying they are legal actually are not unless it is licensed as a motorcycle. Can you get away with it? Sure but you will want to read up on MI No-fault laws before you bend or break the law and get in an accident. I went with 49cc because I like being covered under no-fault. Speed is 30mph max on the flat. Turn signals are not required (but are a good idea). A couple of things on your must have list for the inspection are a muffler and front and rear brakes. Also, in MI you have to have a drivers license to operate a Moped so the CL ads are misleading in that regard too.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
hi Harold,i sent you a pm as well

i ended up getting a 49cc bike and kit together from Craigslist ,

hope you can help me with a few few questions ,

no fault laws , you mean you got to insure the bicycle ??
so what exact forms will i need to get a moped or(pedal assisted bike ) cert,do i need the 3 i did say in the first post?and do i need to take the bike to police station to have it inspected ?.

do i need proof of purchase of the bike/kit etc (dunno how i going to do that i got it off Craigslist )

you say you don't need signal lights are not required (i got them cheapo Chinese ones just in case)

i got front and rear brakes so ok with that and a mirror and horn .

is there anything else i need ??

again ty for your input .

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
hi Harold,i sent you a pm as well

i ended up getting a 49cc bike and kit together from Craigslist ,

hope you can help me with a few few questions ,

no fault laws , you mean you got to insure the bicycle ??
so what exact forms will i need to get a moped or(pedal assisted bike ) cert,do i need the 3 i did say in the first post?and do i need to take the bike to police station to have it inspected ?.

do i need proof of purchase of the bike/kit etc (dunno how i going to do that i got it off Craigslist )

you say you don't need signal lights are not required (i got them cheapo Chinese ones just in case)

i got front and rear brakes so ok with that and a mirror and horn .

is there anything else i need ??

again ty for your input .
Oldpot, I am also in the process of building my bike and I can answer a few
?s for you. You do not need insurance for the bike because it is not a motor vehicle here but it has to be registered as a moped because of our no fault automotive insurance (if somebody hits you on a legally registered moped, your medical is covered). As far as the proof of purchase, I believe you need a recipt for the motor and for the bike. In your case, I think you could probably get a recipt of sorts from the seller for both (assuming you have contact info) I have to get one for my motor and bike too. Only lights you need legally are headlight, brakelight and taillight. Turn signals are optional (supposed to use proper hand signals though). hope this helps.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
WightBoy pretty much covered the no fault stuff there (Thanks!) although things went a little different for me on the proof of purchase. I had thought the state was concerned about the parts being hot but not so. They want to know everything that was purchased for the bike as far as major components like the bike itself or frame and fork, motor, lights, etc so that you pay sales tax on the out of state or Internet purchases. I filled out a form that I received from the SOS describing the build process for an assembled moped. They will also give you an inspection form. I think you mentioned all this in your first post. Make sure the Deputy completes the form properly otherwise you'll need to have them look at the bike again (this happened). They came to my house so no need to transport the bike.
The assembled moped check list is on the MI SOS website. You might want to print that out and then go to the office where you plan to register the bike and ask if there is anything else you need. I did this and still ended up inline three times. You will need to get a VIN number assigned from the state.

Hold the phone! I just went to copy the link for you and the 50cc max reads 100cc now?!

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
thank you wightboy and harold for the information ,
i heard you can use the bikes number that stamp on the bike for the vin number ???

about the seller info i not got that so how would i go about getting recipes etc , (can i ask friend to write one out and say i got it of them or something like that)

so you got to go to police station and ask them to come and check the bike over ??and fill in the sheet .

ok so checklist

Proof of motor purchase
proof of bike purchase
headlight, taillight, horn, brake light and mirror.(turning lights optional)
Generic certification (form TR-34).
Moped Certification (SOS-430).
Vehicle Number and On-Road Equipment Inspection (TR-54).

hope that covers it .

ty again :)

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I have heard of people using the serial number for the bike as a vin, I don't know how legal that is though. I am sure you could have a friend write up a bill of sales for it. There are forms all over the internet to get reference from.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I called the county sheriff and they sent someone right away. As far as a VIN, the state will send you a plate to put on the bike with an assigned VIN as well as a registration with the VIN on it. The frame number might work but the plate transfers if you damage the frame.

At the SoS office they will fill out with you an "APPLICATION to REGISTER a MOPED" R-2L (6/99) and "APPLICATION for SPECIAL VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER" TR-204 (7/95). This when they ask for receipts. If you don't have any then when you write up the build history let them know the bicycle was used and purchased locally from an individual and the engine was a salvage and was purchased second hand also as a non-functioning engine. You fixed it. If they ask for receipts still then point out there's no sales tax on used "junk". That is what I did (really, my engine was Craig's List junk and did not have receipts). If you can show them a few for hardware purchased locally then the tax is already paid or for parts to hot rod the motor purchased on the net that should do it. You do have to pay the sales tax on the spot before you get the registration so be aware of that.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I've jumped through the hoops, have my registration sticker and VIN tag. I pass the police and they see a legal rider, nothing more or less. No worries.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
again ty harold and everyone for the info much appreciated i not worried about paying tax etc , just trying to get everything ready to go to sos and get registered and if i need a vin number i get that :).

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

ok . is this the right form for the inspection,i got it online ,

they be coming tomorrow to inspect the bike but said they just check the vin number ??? i will show them the serial of bike but tell them what harold said about they sos send a assigned vin number see what they say , if i get a signature from them and the boxes ticked that's all i am bothered about .