Schwinn Tricycle

GoldenMotor.com

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Has anyone motorized one of the Schwinn Tricycycles available at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Meridian-Adult-Trike-Dark-Cherry/12016722?findingMethod=rr

Just looking at the picture, I can already see a few issues, but if they can be worked around easily it could be a affordable trike solution.

I'm not going to do it (well, no plans atm), but I think trikes are cool.

edit: Don't rage in here about how cheap/low quality all walmart bikes are, etc...

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
that was my first ride. i found one someone was selling for $100 complete except fenders. Put a 6.5 hp honda on it. had to get the sprocket machined to fit the 15mm axle. it was a little slow on take of and only topped out at 35mph (which is fast on a trike due to dodging potholes). the gearing was wrong is the problem but i wanted to ride. I then bought a wallmat 7 speed beach cruiser and went with the chinese 4 stroke and shift kit. works great, although my uncle has problems with his, but yet i have tripple the ride time.
So after the cruiser was ready I did lots of "homework" and switching the 15mm axle out to a 5/8 axle so i can easyly play with gearing with out machining and im adding a jackshaft. I started putting the back half on a occ stringray and i came across a 26in stretched cruiser so occ got scrapped and its going on the stretch. Waiting on the rims from cycles u.s as we speak and get er rolling

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I put a 2 stroke on a Diamondback mountainbike. Was a close sit, but it ran decent for a short time. Then things went bad with the engine. I might try and fix it if I put the engine back together (I took it apart).

I've always liked the look of trikes though. Maybe I'll make one someday, but for now I'm going to plan for a 4 stroke cruiser. The 2 stroke was too loud and I don't really like having to have mixed gas. Much more fun to pull up to the gas station on the bike.

mderum

Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I am just about to Motorize a Schwinn Meridian Trike. I am waiting for the Engine Kit to arrive. Putting a Flying Horse 5G Pull Start 4 Stroke on it. I let you know how it goes.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
A trike. Said Can not be done. I proved them wrong :) Can't go fast anywhere with it. But it's fun:) I pull a trailer with mine. 15 mph. Schwinn is a good bike.(c)