Bike wont start, intake is bone dry?

GoldenMotor.com

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Hello again, I've got the kit together and am now having trouble getting it to start. I've gotten a spark by laying the plug on the top of the engine and turning the pedals. The air filter is clean. The gas is getting to the bottom of the carb (I turned the small drain screw on the bottom of the carb from the outside and fuel came out). I've tried fiddling with the choke and idle screw, but still have had no luck. I can tell gas is flowing into the carb. The intake pipe going into the engine is bone dry. I've looked through the carb tutorial thread , and my guess is the jet is clogged, but i'm really not sure. And I'm a little confused as to what the float does.

Before I tear into the carb tomorrow, do you have any suggestions as to what to look for?

-Alex :-||

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
All the float does is close the valve that allows fuel into the bowl. It prevents fuel form just continuing to flow into the carb and flooding the engine with fuel. Once you open the carb, you'll see a horseshoe shaped piece of brass that the float rises up against. It's connected to that valve. The "tickler" button on the outside of the carb simply pushes the float down which opens that valve and allows fuel to flow freely.

The carb is REALLY simple, you can yank it apart and put it back together in a matter of minutes. You put this whole bike together, the carb will be cake. It's definitely no Holley, that's for sure.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Actually one thing you can do is try holding that tickler down until the bowl starts over-flowing out of every port. Fuel will get into the intake even if the jet was welded shut. See if you can get the bike to fire like that. If it does, it's definitely a clogged jet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have the NT carburetor, the jet is the brass tube that 'should' be screwed into the body of the carburetor and pokes down through the center of the float. The float is a white plastic donut shaped part. Some have reported finding the jet not screwed in but laying in the bowl. If the jet isn't where it's supposed to be fuel will not be pulled into the intake. It is a siphon system, like blowing over the top of a straw. As air flows through the carb it essentially 'sucks' fuel up through the jet. The orifice in the jet is very small and can get clogged easily. That's why we recommend the use of a fuel filter downstream of the tank, before the carburetor.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Tom

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Thank you guys so much! That solved a big part of the problem. The main pipe was screwed in but the jet itself had fallen out. After fixing that it still wouodn't start. I checked coil again, Fuel, exhaust, and finally... The Clutch! I'm not sure how that was it, but its running now! So far there's only 2 other problems. 1. It won't idle, 2. The chain tensioner keeps moving toward the wheel and after a while nudges against the spokes. Any idea's?