What is a slant head

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Slant head refers to the spark plug's position in the cylinder head. The standard position will place the plug straight up and the slant angles the plug.
The theory is that angling the plug to the side of the combustion chamber allows for a better ignition of the fuel/air charge. Another benefit is vertical clearance of the spark plug to the bike frame when mounting the engine on some bikes.
Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks a lot! :)
if you check the head upgrades from various aftermarket bike gurus you'll notice that the good ones have the plug TDC. (lol) but really, the plug on hi-pro heads Is most usually on top, centered above the piston. allowing the gasses to be ignited in a more uniform manner, producing a more powerful punch, rather than the mixture igniting on one side of the chamber and burning towards the other side. This may be of course, splitting **** hairs, but has a profound enough impact to be the motivation in building new jugtops. the main reason for the slanted plug (from what I have read from a few other credited know it all's) is compromise. It reduces overall engine height and allows for more mounting possibilities.

that and $1.50 will get you a cup of hot brown liquid...

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Could someone please tell a newbi what the difference is between a regualr, and a slant head engine is? Thanks.
A cylinder head that is slanted. LOL :p jk

The slant head was designed for frames that have tighter clearances and won't allow the straight head to clear. I have both a straight head and an angle-fire head they both run well and really offer no performance benefit over the other.

Last edited:

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Just a quick question on this topic . I ordered a slanthead engine for a spare (it's still in the box) and the spark plug is in the front , angled toward the carb. I see pics going both ways. Does it matter?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
No, if not for the fins, you could mount it sideways. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in performance between a TDc or slant head. I can't. But we're not talking about a vehicle you'd run at Talledega.