need a few questions from a beginner (florida)

GoldenMotor.com

voomy

Nov 30, 2011
florida
hey guys! this site is great and i've been learning alot. but i still have quite a few questions.

I was originally gonna go with a 49cc gas bike but florida laws are too gray for my liking. i have a valid DL but i do not wish to register or get involved with the DMV so i've decided battery powered bike is the best.

so the questions:

1.) I'd like distance the most. its about 60 miles total to and back from the beach. if thats possible i'd like that. (time isnt really an issue) and its all pretty level ground.

1.a) can you hook up a small trailer to a bike with more batteries for longer distance while still driving on a side walk? its scary with cars wizzing by 55+mph and is that even worth doing with batteries?

2.) lithium batteries are the most cost effective "over all" right? for powering all the way down and back up.

3.)i know the speed limit on battery bikes on street roads is 20mph, but is it possible to make prefabricated bikes go faster than this? maybe up to 30? or would that need to be a custom kit? (of course on private land)

4.) im looking to keep the cost down to $700 initially for the basics and buying more batteries later on. any suggestions on bikes? and/or kits?

5.) it'd be nice to pedal as well; if i do not get a pedal assist one, are the other ones extremely hard to pedal?

6.) for the battery powered bike guys; do many places have outlets to recharge them?

7.) how difficult are these bikes resistant to thievery? any type of special precautions?

this is a very interesting/fun hobby and i do have medium DIY skills and this board is a very informative reading. So any answers to any of the questions would be greatly appericated. THANKS!

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
a bionx kit looks to be around 1000 and up, a quality frame around 600 and the rest of the parts around 600 around $2000 depending on the parts you choose.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
1.) I'd like distance the most. its about 60 miles total to and back from the beach. if thats possible i'd like that. (time isnt really an issue) and its all pretty level ground.

36v 30AH LiFepo4 will net you the 60 miles (If you pedal alot) Minimum for JUST the battery is $800

1.a) can you hook up a small trailer to a bike with more batteries for longer distance while still driving on a side walk? its scary with cars wizzing by 55+mph and is that even worth doing with batteries?

Sure!!! BUT!!, you can't ride it on the sidewalk under power. So it kinda negates what you're thinking. :(

2.) lithium batteries are the most cost effective "over all" right? for powering all the way down and back up.

Absolutely! (But stick with Lifepo4 batteries, the other "Flavors" of lithium require constant attention and/or special care.)

3.)i know the speed limit on battery bikes on street roads is 20mph, but is it possible to make prefabricated bikes go faster than this? maybe up to 30? or would that need to be a custom kit? (of course on private land)

"On private land".. Yeah that's it.. LOL.. Sure, kits can be purchased to go as fast as you have enough money for.. But that's an issue for you.. To go 30mph AND 60miles you would need a 48v 30AH lifepo4 and then battery is a min of $1,000

4.) im looking to keep the cost down to $700 initially for the basics and buying more batteries later on. any suggestions on bikes? and/or kits?

The place I buy my kits from sell a 36v/48v motor kit that you can run off of a small battery and just add another one later.. Kit alone is about $250. Smaller Battery will cost about $300 (20mph and 20 miles). Bike you can use an existing one or buy one you like and add the kit to it. (Prefab bikes that go 20mph and a min of 20 real world miles, will cost over $100

5.) it'd be nice to pedal as well; if i do not get a pedal assist one, are the other ones extremely hard to pedal?

Only if you don't have a large (re:heavy) battery on it, it shouldn't be too much harder to pedal.

6.) for the battery powered bike guys; do many places have outlets to recharge them?

I've recharged in MANY places.. Gas stations, Starbucks, Banks, anywhere there is a soda machine, usually has a spare outlet, etc.

7.) how difficult are these bikes resistant to thievery? any type of special precautions?

I use a two-fold approach..
1.) Thick bike lock/U-Bolt lock. ($20-$30)
2.) "Motorcycle lock/alarm". (Attaches to a disk brake or spokes or a metal attachment - vibration/lock alarm) $80-$100

this is a very interesting/fun hobby and i do have medium DIY skills and this board is a very informative reading. So any answers to any of the questions would be greatly appericated. THANKS!
If you live in the South Florida area, PM me and maybe we can hook up and I'll show you my bike and the options you have.

Last edited: