Just want other opinions

GoldenMotor.com

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I have been riding my aluminum trek around motorized for well over 2,000 miles with no problems aside from the 2-stroke engines dying right around 1,000 miles. I do ride them a bit hard. The question I have: are steel frames better suited for MB's as opposed to aluminum frames? My vote is for aluminum. I believe aluminum also absorbs (not resists) vibrations better than steel.

brnot

Motorpsykler

Jul 2, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
Bicycles are made from aluminum tubing not because it's stronger but to save weight.
Given the same size and thickness that is true. That is why many aluminum frames use oversized oval tubing. They can get the rigidity that way and still save weight.

As far as for motorized use, I can't speak from experience, but if you look at motorcycles, Ducati builds frames from chromoly tubing not much larger than an old Schwinn. Any aluminum frames you see on motorcycles have extrusions and castings much larger than any bicycle. That's not to say an aluminum bicycle isn't strong enough for a motor. I just think that a well built steel bicycle has more strength to spare.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Trek aluminum frames are very high quality. They are tested and wall thickness is added where needed. Bargain store aluminum frames are not as well made.
Some of the more recent steel bargain store frames have cracked too when motorized, according to posts on this and other sites.
A cheap, vintage (2000 or older) steel frame may be durable for motorizing but avoid cheap aluminum frames.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have two Aluminum frame MAB's with years and thousands of miles with no failure. I can't say for sure that aluminum should not be used, but I ride as hard as I can trying to find the failure point.

In the seven years of riding MAB's I have yet to have a frame failure steel or aluminum. But I keep trying .wee.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I think the overall impression is based on personal choice. And more importantly on the quality of the bike to begin with. The important thing is we all love our individual bikes for are own reasons, and should all be proud of or own individual characters of our bikes. The reason why I posted this thread is another guy on another thread stated I needed to site where I got (my opinion) information on aluminum absorbing vibrations better. I got a little upset and made fun of the fact he rides a Huffy Crannbrook based on price, not style, or quality. I went to far and if he is reading this I do appologize. We are all apart of the MB family.

.we.:-||zpt.duh..wee.