stuff i do each time i go for a joy ride

GoldenMotor.com

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
the reson im posting this is to help provent what happened to me.

so when i took my frist ride i had a feeling that something would happen to the bike and something did happen. the thing that happend was that the kill switch was not intalled to the motor right. the good thing that i knew how to stop the motor so i did what i needed to turn off the motor and then fixed it and now it works so my edvice to all the people that read this make sure your kill switch works even know its not that big of a deal thats what i think ok well that is all i have to say.duh.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I know. When I first started my bike, I was more happy that the kill switch worked rather than the engine started without any problems. (except minor gas leak and loose chain.)

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
I know. When I first started my bike, I was more happy that the kill switch worked rather than the engine started without any problems. (except minor gas leak and loose chain.)
yeah I had those same problems too with a gas leak and I had to shorten the chain but i found out how to fix them so that I could get it running with out having to worry about them for a while even know it could happen it again..wee.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I don't usually check my bike out every time I ride. But when I'm riding it a lot every day I'll generally go over it once a week. Check the engine mounts to make sure they're tight, torque the head nuts, make sure the intake and exhaust manifolds are on there good and tight. Check chain tension and make sure it is tight enough. Every now and again I'll check the plug to make sure it is running right, but more often than not I have chronic carb issues...

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
I don't usually check my bike out every time I ride. But when I'm riding it a lot every day I'll generally go over it once a week. Check the engine mounts to make sure they're tight, torque the head nuts, make sure the intake and exhaust manifolds are on there good and tight. Check chain tension and make sure it is tight enough. Every now and again I'll check the plug to make sure it is running right, but more often than not I have chronic carb issues...
thats good for you because not only are you being safe but it also could help you from getting injured in any way. i do lots of things like checking the exhaust pipe because it almost fell off the motor mount that attachés it to the motor itself while i was going kind of fast. which i think could have been really bad if i did not stop and shut the motor off and pedal it home to fix it so thats why i check things to make sure its safe to ride it right before i do .shft.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
The exhaust is pretty easy to tell when it is starting to come off. The bike goes from loud, to REALLY LOUD!

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i dont really inspect my bike before a ride unless its a long ride usually i hop on start er up and cruise away but i pretty much have all the bugs worked out i do remember walikng my bike home that sure was embarrassing

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
What's more embarrassing was when my bike broke down just out of town and wouldn't roll... I had to lock it to a tree, walk 6 miles home. Then come back with my car and trailer to pick it up...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This looks like a good place to restate a warning about tightening fasteners.
There is a difference between checking for tightness and tightening. I've often seen the suggestion to tighten things before riding or regularly. I can not disagree more. Once properly torqued there should be no reason to continue to tighten a fastener. Yes, you can check them, put a wrench or socket on them and see if they're tight but if they don't move with just a little pressure...DO NOT try to get a turn on them. This is a big cause of fastener failure on these bike engine conversions...over tightening of bolts, nuts, screws etc. Tighten them once,then check them after the engine has reached operating temperature a couple of times then leave them alone. Visually checking is often good enough and as said above, test with a tool but don't force them just to see some rotation of the fastener.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The best thing that's happened to me was my muffler fell off at 30 mph and I ran over it. Twice.