Classic controls on an NE-5?

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The early J-type controls used a cool looking vintage twist throttle with a solid, single wire, throttle cable. The later model Whizzers (NE-5 or WC1) use a modern throttle assembly that works great, but does not have the vintage appeal of the early controls.

So, can the early controls be made to work with the later motors? Ideally, somebody sells a cable that makes the conversion easy -ie Vintage twist throttle that works with the modern Keihin carbs.

I can't be the first guy down this path. Who has solved this problem?

Rich

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
The vintage whizzer uses a push-pull cable that attaches to a linkage on the outside of the carb no throttle return spring.The modern whizzer uses a motorcycle style throttle cable that attaches to the slide inside the carb where there is a return spring between the slide and the cap that is the top of the carb. Look at the post here about using the Tecumseh carb it has the older style linkage that would allow use of the vintage throttle.Hope this helps

Hi Itchybird,

I have traveled in the opposite direction...... Using vintage carburetors on my new edition racing Whizzers. Last setup was a Tillotson MT series used on the Cushman Eagle. I made a small fitting to house the end of the cable attached it to the original plate and simply placed a return spring around the cable. The spring was strong enough to return to idle when the throttle control was released.

Using the original solid wire cable would require some type of external conversion because the cable is held in place by the return spring tension. I am sure someone has converted the current system using the vintage controls, however I have never seen it
done.

Have fun,

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Thanks for the replies...

I thought about making a conversion cable, but thought there might be an out of the box solution. I'll look into some of the vintage carbs

Rich