Sidecar operation

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have never rode a Motor Assisted Bicycle or Motorcycle with a sidecar, but it is safe to say that a Motorized Bicycle with a sidecar will handle way different then one without one.

I am sure there are members who have ridden with a sidecar and I would like to hear some tips or driving style that makes operating a sidecar safely.

So, if you have any advice or input you would like to share about operating a sidecar please share it.

Searching the web I did not find much, but I did find this that may be helpful for others.

Motorvation Engineering Sidecar Operation Manual

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i never motorized one, but i had a tricked out custom bmx'er sidehack a million years ago. it was perfect for my paper route.

my older brother and i raced it at the track back in the late 70's, and it takes a lot of getting used to. i'm talking about a team effort thing, though, where the lighter guy (me) is in the hack with my brother pedaling. cornering is all about leaning and braking, and jumping is pretty crazy.

as far as riding it single, cornering it is a lot like a trike, where it has to pivot to turn, but only when turning into the hack-side. mine had a "cutting" brake on the hack (just a caliper brake set up on the hack-wheel) and that worked awesome. you could slam it on in a turn and the bike would pivot right around the corner.

mostly, you need to learn to lean, know the limits of steering, and hopefully not tip over alot. i know i did, but i was ten years old then, and healed faster.