Best mounting on aluminum frame?

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Ideally I would like very much to have a manic mechanic mount, but those don't seem to be available anymore. If I use a steel U-bolt type mount for oversize tubes then I have to worry about the U-bolt eating a hole in my frame. From what I have been reading it is not advisable to try and use rubber to isolate the mount from the frame. So what are my options?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Slightly different application, same concept ;)

I took a chunk o'pipe w/the same ID as my bike's tubing OD and cut it in half, grinding a bit of a taper to fit in the U bolt, I later added a tack weld to hold the steel "pad" to the U;

That outa diffuse the crimping force of the U bolt quite nicely :)

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Thanks BA, that looks like it's the way to go. My down tube is 1 1/2", so I know that I can get pipe that size without a problem. I won't have my next engine for another week or more though, so if anyone has any other methods I would love to hear them about them as well.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
tim dont do what i did....but it works great...here it is..any? just ask...simular to barely awake...and the finished product...could have been better but i made a big mistake in the beginning...good luck...Dennis

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice build doc!
Does the mufflers quiet down the expansion chamber noise?
I wondered why you mounted so high until I seen why, very clever.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
believe me, i didnt want to mount so high....the first mounts were great but they failed so instead of dumping the whole thing, i went to plan B....worked out ok...yes the sound on this bike is sweat...not load, just clean....if i remeber the mufflers, chamber and pipe were 40 dollars off of e-bay...my other bike has the single muffler set-up and it also has a clean sound....the chambers kick-in around 15-20mph depending how hard i ride it...for the money...lot better than stock...this is a triple butted aluminum gary fisher...and i went thru the frame and treaded on the inside of the mounts...thanks for the look see and i hope this helps with any problems...Dennis