Proposed Matchless Tribute.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Sorry no pictures as yet as I've been busy with housework and Mum things. Just to top it off Summer has suddenly decided to arrive and the weather is hot and humid which affects my CFS/ME in not a good way. I much prefer Spring and Autumn for their much cooler weather and don't enjoy our Summers very much at all.
Just to refresh your memories this is my sidecar rickshaw on the day I collected it from its former owner ........

Overall the cycle parts are in reasonable working order, though the forks are slightly bent from a collision with something. Most of the metalwork has black primer paint slopped on it which has helped to preserve it, but that's all that can be said for it really. The sidecar chassis is in good shape and only really needs a cleanup and a proper coat of paint to be used again. The bike is a Chinese 'Phoenix' and I'm still making up my mind about it.

Of the frames I could use I have a pre-war Phillips which is absolutely superb, but completely off limits to any modifications involving hacksaws and welding or brazing.
The second choice is an early 1950's Raleigh which was in a prang and has a twisted top tube. A real shame as its decals and pin-striping are still in nice condition, but of course it's wide open to being modified due to its damaged state and need to have the top tube replaced.
The final choice is the Chinese Phoenix which is certainly up to the job, has no original finish to speak of due to the thick coat of black primer adorning it. The frame is essentially a Raleigh copy and I don't have any scruples at all about modifying it.

Question; - Am I being a bicycle snob? I suppose I am really (sigh).

Alright, I must concur, - the Phoenix would be the best choice for making an Alldays-Matchless tribute and I shall keep my English bikes for motorwheel experiments that won't involve messing up their original finish.

The engine of course will be a Villiers (Alleluia, alleluia!)
And it will be mounted in the frame in a similar way to this ........

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Depending on how low you can mount it, you mat end up with a tank over the top tube like the Rivendell. Keep your eyes open for what may be rare in NZ, a Motobecane Model 7. It has a 3l tank which is long and flat.