Unfriendly Areas To Ride Our Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
1. LaMesa, California. Regardless if you are 100% legal. They have a citywide ban on MB's.
Do you have that ordinance that we can look up?
I thought a local municipality was not legally allowed to directly conflict with a state or federal law. If the state of California says you can ride them on the streets, how can any city conflict with that? The reason for state law is to have uniform legality throughout the entire state. No?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Newport beach California. unless you're 100% legal.
Well... Yeah, if you're not 100% legal, in anything in this world, the police (and others) usually don't take to kindly to it.
(which, I guess, IS the definition of "unfriendly", at least, in the OP's (and your) context.)

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I've never ridden there but I've read some bad stories about cops in Tucson, Arizona. They may be isolated events and Tucson has specific ordinances allowing MB's. Maybe a Tucson local could shed some light.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Like I said above: "I don't want a bunch of discussions to clutter up this thread please." Go elsewhere for discussions or this will get buried in the clutter.

Terry

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sorry fulltimer, if this is "clutter," but to reply to sangesf, most cities around here don't care as long as you have a helmet and don't act like a moron. Newport, though, enforces all the california laws (found in another thread) and will impound your bike if not registered and/or you don't have an M2 license. if you're legal, it's a great place to ride.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Like I said above: "I don't want a bunch of discussions to clutter up this thread please." Go elsewhere for discussions or this will get buried in the clutter.

Terry
Well... It might help if you explain what you actually mean by "decidedly unfriendly".
OR
When someone says it's unfriendly, a little synopsis as to why, would be helpful.

As shown by 2door/Tom, that could mean a myriad of things.

My addition to the thread....

1.) Palm Beach County, Florida
2.) Ocean City, New Jersey
3.) Any road without a bike lane, on a rainy, dark night!

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
This thread may be a bad place for MB'ers too.
Actually, I think this thread is a good idea..
The only caveat is that it would take YEARS to populate this thread with enough areas to be really useful. And at that point it would have to be broken down into state by state...

My .02

End of line.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Actually over half of all the states in the united states is not legal for these mb's but most of the sites that sells these kits won't tell you that.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Probably NYS is the most unfriendly: MBs here cannot be registered, inspected or insured. SO, if you are riding one on public streets, you are unregistered, uninsured, uninspected, and subject to arrest.
But, I ride every day, anyway.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I rode everyday too, that is until you are ticketed and arrested...

For around $750 delivered, you can buy a new moped/scooter online that is rode legal and comes with a title and papers.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
A six lane highway with a 70mph speed limit and no bike lane. If that's not unfriendly I don't know what is. :)
Tom
I have been close.. 4 lane ( 2 each way ) lane 70+ traffic.

I based my lights on the need for safe night rides on long stretches of foothills travel.

Nothing taught me what is smart for such transit like an actual night ride for 10+ miles on that kind of road.

I need to do a thread on this configuration.. Might save a life.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Actually, I think this thread is a good idea..
The only caveat is that it would take YEARS to populate this thread with enough areas to be really useful. And at that point it would have to be broken down into state by state...

My .02

End of line.

Could be the foundation of a political movement. I believe it could be considered "Green" but this too may be off topic?

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
The reason we want to "Analyze it to death" is because we don't want to end up in a heap of trouble. MBers have been required to go to court because of riding.

If we have a plate, there is no question to a police officer then. It's a legal mode of transportation.