How to repaint a bike frame

GoldenMotor.com

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
well what i was going to do was when i finished painting the bike i was going to wrap the bike in reflective vinyl so when the vinyl scratches or peels of you still see orange.

Bright Bike

Last edited:

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
if the frame is pretty rusted, or you just wanna strip the frame a vinegar soak for a couple of days followed by a wire brush is a pretty good and safe way to strip. look for my post in the board tracker section to see results i posted a video too. you can also go to bmxmuseum.com of which i am also a member they have a lot of info on bike restoration

Last edited:

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
hay RedB66 where did you get those orange cables? and wow thats a nice bike kinda almost the color i wanted i think im just going to buy both of the colors and just have a debate. and hay did you use dupli-color or rust-oleum ?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
if the frame is pretty rusted, or you just wanna strip the frame a vinegar soak for a couple of days followed by a wire brush is a pretty good and safe way to strip. look for my post in the board tracker section to see results i posted a video too. you can also go to bmxmuseum.com of which i am also a member they have a lot of info on bike restoration
Nice tip on the vinegar. How do you get it to stay on the frame while it is soaking? I was thinking maybe something like vinegar soaked paper towels or cloth and then wrapped in plastic to keep it from drying. Vinegar is pretty cheap and environmentally friendly... cool. I've used it for cleaning other things and can testify that it does act as a kind of solvent. My brother uses it in his antique shop on things like glazed pottery which has been stained on the inside. Takes the stains right out after a few days' soak.
SB

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
if u check my vid i have it in a bath tub sitting on top of some black plastic sheeting i got at home depot of which i put "stuff" towels , belive it or not bunched up christmas lights ( i was taking down my xmas lights at the time) , and miscellanious things to displace the vinegar around the frame so u dont have to use much i also had to flip it around for the other side this was 1 gallon worth....

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
if u check my vid i have it in a bath tub sitting on top of some black plastic sheeting i got at home depot of which i put "stuff" towels , belive it or not bunched up christmas lights ( i was taking down my xmas lights at the time) , and miscellanious things to displace the vinegar around the frame so u dont have to use much i also had to flip it around for the other side this was 1 gallon worth....
what are you talking about.....? im confused lol
acid bath aint for me no rust at all

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
From the looks of that bike I'd just scuff it up a bit w/the steel wool, wipe it down clean w/acetone and give it a squirt - not even botherin' with primer if there's no raw metal showin' ;)

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
From the looks of that bike I'd just scuff it up a bit w/the steel wool, wipe it down clean w/acetone and give it a squirt - not even botherin' with primer if there's no raw metal showin' ;)
well yea thats the easy way out hehehe i want to rebuild the bike. well keep the frame,fork,wheels,handlebars,ect... but yea i dont like the color just going to repaint it just for funn then when i get money im going to get a shift kit, expansion chamber and a gt-5 so yea

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
ChrisE was kind enough to answer a question regarding the use of vinegar as a stripper. This thread started out asking how to paint a bike including how to prep one for painting. The use of chemical strippers was raised with positives and negatives, so if vinegar can be used to strip a bike that's good to know.
SB

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
ChrisE was kind enough to answer a question regarding the use of vinegar as a stripper. This thread started out asking how to paint a bike including how to prep one for painting. The use of chemical strippers was raised with positives and negatives, so if vinegar can be used to strip a bike that's good to know.
SB
oh yea thats right... thanks dude for pointing that out.Gee man i forgot what this post was for and i posted this thread lol. I got to keep track and vinegar is a good tip if i found or have anything rusted thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
SB
...and I stole this thread as an opportunity to help anyone lookin' to paint sumfin' for the first time as yer list of questions so thorough and nicely listed ;)

So... not quite alla the advice is gonna be relevant - sorry 'bout that :)

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
i think i might get this paint brand instead its called Montana Its a graffiti company. I think im going to either go with Montana Gold Orangina: G2050 or Montana Gold orange: G2070 both sold at amazon. What do you think sounds cooler and more pretty-er lol and im going with a different bike its a Fuji sunfire 1994 XD its older than me