My new Felt MP, ready for an engine!

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I can't wait to get an engine on this bike. I am so tempted to pull the drivetrain out of my Whizzer and drop it in as this bike would just look perfect with a whizzer engine, but the Felt is going to get an EZ Motorbike kit.

I'm going to pick up an EZ Motorbike kit from Lennyharp tonight. I ordered a rear sprocket adapter and sprockets from Manic Mechanic last night.

This is gonna be a really neat bike! I already have a feeling that this one is going to be my favorite summer afternoon/evening cruising bike. :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Wow Datz, That's a sweet looking cruiser.
I'm starting to hear a lot about the EZ Motor kits. What kind of motor does it use?

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
The base EZ Motorbike kit comes with the Hau Sheng 142F-G-1, which is a 49cc 4 stroke engine. The kits can be upgraded to the 49cc Honda GX-50 for an additional cost.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Found a thread with one of those motor setup. Good choice Datz! Are you planing on using the regular tank or use the same set up as your other bike. The tank you made for your orange bike would add to the sweetness factor on your new bike.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
but but why add a tank when the top tube on these Felts's are so nice for sealing up and making it the gas tank. Several members have done this on a Felt and it makes a really great looking motor bike.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I got the EZ Motorbike kit today. Really a nice kit! The "black box" is a marvel of precision engineering. As an engineer myself, I'm impressed! I also cant believe how lightweight the engine is.

CE (Jim), thank YOU for providing these parts!! I'm sure I'll be ordering a few more parts from you in the future.

Easy Rider: I'm thinking about a motorcycle style tank. But I may go back to a rear tank like I did on the Orange. That setup really worked out well.

Nunya: I was going to seal up the top tube before I saw the bike and got to check it out. IMO, the tube is really too narrow to provide enough volume to be a useable tank for long rides. I'd like to have at least a half gallon of capacity.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Well that just stinks. I know some of those bikes have a larger top tube.

I'm excited to see what kind of tank you use, it'll be something sweet I bet.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The aluminum framed Felt's have the larger tanks. They hold over 2 litres. About the same as the Chinese kit tanks. The steel framed felts are much narrower. I think a tank on the back like your last bike would look great!

greasywheats

Apr 30, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey Datz...the Felt MP is THE bike I have wanted to put a motor on as my first project. However, the consensus was that the frame/wheels was going to be too tight to get an engine in. I have NO experience with these things, but pick things up pretty quick. You figure that The EZ engine will mount properly without changing out the stock wheels, etc?
PLEASE, PLEASE keep us updated with picks as you build...I'd be so interested!
Thanks-Dennis

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I'll be updating this build thread as the bike starts to come together.

The frame/wheel clearance is going to be really tight. I'll post up photos once I get closer.

SemperKeith

May 9, 2009
Chico, CA
Hey Datz, I powered up a Felt MP bike about a year ago, I had the aluminum frame so I made a fuel tank out of the top tube. I have some photos on a web page if you are interested. semperkeith._om

For a fuel tank, maybe you could cruise some war surplus stores for an appropriate container that would still look like it belongs to an MP bike, you never know what kind of inspiration you might have. On my felt, I have a WWII canteen and holder mounted on the front fork, it is really a spare fuel can. I have a hand crank siren to mount to mount on the bike when I figure out how. It is all about the accessories.

The bike is 98 percent complete and I have put nearly 800 miles on it. It attracts a lot of attention and I am amused when people think it is WWI original. Good luck with your project, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Keith

Last edited: