Paint question.

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
If I were to put some red paint over a black primer, will it come out darker than if I put the same red paint over gray primer? Or does it even matter. I am thinking of doing a paint job with red that has a dark, smokey, cherry look and metal flake. Also, do you guys think that chrome would go with this or gold plate? I think that if I were to go with that red color, the bike would look better with black rims and spokes, and gold plated parts.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not unless you layer the paint very thinly and very evenly...better to go with the color you want. You can get custom mixed colors in spray cans at a lot of auto parts store. Check with Sherwin Williams paint stores too.

DAVID02895

Nov 14, 2008
Rhode Island
It will be slightly darker over black primer. I do auto body and use 7 different sealers and every color calls for a certian sealer for that reason. The best thing for you would be to put down a gold base and go over it with candy red. It will give you the color you want plus the more coats of candy,the deeper the red gets. I am working on a chopper that I will be painting this color with large metal flake in it.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I agree with Bikeguy Joe AND DAVID02895. Normally you would just pick the color you want and not try to affect the darkness by using a dark undercoat. With an opaque paint, 3 coats would probably totally hide any undercoat; white, black... the difference wouldn't be perceptable. But you said "cherry look and metal flake". A metal flake paint won't be opaque (or you wouldn't see the flake). So the base coat will matter.
DAVID02895's suggestion sounds good, candy red over gold. A darker gold, like bronze, might give a nice dark effect.
I think the darker you get the red, the better the gold plated parts will work with it.

knucklepanshovel

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
are you refering to real gold plating? I do not recomend for anything used regularily It will look horible after a while.

the primer will affect the tint of the color

my favorite was using a candy blue over a black base to give a purple shade that no one could duplicate for my old customs.

use the gold metal flake in the clear or in a medium over the paint & for a contrast think about red flakes & gold flakes? there are many shades of flakes you can put in the clears.

I am old school but I like black rims, black hubs with stainless spokes & a stainless disc would look good

now as for gold plating? think about bars, seat post, clamps, I would go mostly black with gold bolts or chrome or stainless bolts... take stainless bolts grind the proof markings off the head & polish on a buffer. no rust & look like chrome.

Later,
Randy

DAVID02895

Nov 14, 2008
Rhode Island
Gold plating isn't durable. I have a gold plating machine. It looks good for a little while then it wears off. Are you going to use spray paint or real auto paint? I don't think there are too much options when using spray paint. There is candy red though. In the hobby section in Walmart.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Gold plating isn't durable. I have a gold plating machine. It looks good for a little while then it wears off. Are you going to use spray paint or real auto paint? I don't think there are too much options when using spray paint. There is candy red though. In the hobby section in Walmart.
Well fellas, i've been thinking about it, and I've decided to save the red for another day. When I get the bike and kit and all that. I will probably go with a lime green and metal flake with a white base coat. White vinyl banana seat, tall sissy bar, and chrome parts. In the older school of choppers and bobbers, green is considered a jinx. Oh well.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I got a real spayer with a turbine, instead of a compressor. So this will be the first time I won't be using a rattle can.