What kind of engine kit is best?

GoldenMotor.com

trooper dan

Mar 23, 2009
ohio
I want to stick with a 50 cc honda engine with a chain drive system. I would like to buy the entire kit plus the engine and Im not afraid to spend some money. I am mounting the kit to a cannondale cad 2 hardtail. I will be planning on touring the country and pulling a bob trailer.

What is the best quality kit for the money with a honda engine. or would it be better to get a 35 cc honda engine?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy trooper. I personally do not know of any kits that come with the Honda. Another option if you can not find one is buy the GB and mount from 49cc Mounting Kit Only - $219.99 and the Honda engine from Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QHA - Honda Engine 2 5hp Horizontal 5 8 x 1 1 4 Shaft Muffler no tank
Great price for a GX50.

I have just finished building one (Honda GX50 with Grubee GB) and really, really like it. Smooth and nice. Well worth it's price and then some.
I would suggest going with the 50 over the 35 for what you are planing. If you do find a kit with the Honda, could you post it?

Edit; I have never seen a cannondale cad 2 hardtail, so I goggled it. I did not find your exact bike but most seem to have the rider leaning down and forward. You might consider new handle bars that allow you to sit more up right if your bike is like this. Is just more comfortable with not having to do all the work due to your engine.
Best of luck

Last edited:

trooper dan

Mar 23, 2009
ohio
I wanted to get a kit that can be compatible with my mountain bike without modifying the gearing or handling, I was thinking about getting a friction drive because they seem like they are low maintenance. Im still doing extensive research and I still have no idea what I will get yet. Since Im a newbie member it wont let me post links. I will try to get a pic of my bike on here soon. But, it is a mountain bike that is a 24 speed and I would like to keep the mods to a minimum.

trooper dan

Mar 23, 2009
ohio
Ok, Im thinking about getting the one posted above. How are the titan engines on logevity compared to the honda? Are the mounting holes the same on the titan as the 50 cc honda engine? If so Ill order this one and ride it till I wear out the motor and then get a honda.

I really like this setup, because it seems low maintenance and wont inerfere with my shifting and I wont have to modify the crank. The only downside I would imagine is that it would be top heavy. But hey I have noticed that everything is a trade off...

Thanks for all the replys! .duh.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
But hey I have noticed that everything is a trade off...

Thanks for all the replys! .duh.
Ayup,true. And your very welcome

I have not owned or ridden A titan so could not answer those questions. But I bought my first kit off Dax and highly recommend him. If you do a search here (be sure to click "Search Title Only") for Titan, there is a good bit of information on them. Our host, Cruiser (Leading a rag tag fugitive fleet, fleeing the Cylon tyranny) has one and speaks highly of it.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/cruisers-motorized-mountain-bike-dax-titan-1567.html

trooper dan

Mar 23, 2009
ohio
ok, here's the delimma. I want to get a frame mount kit that is compatible with a honda engine and is also comes with a sprocket that will mount to a rear disc hub. Is there any where I can order a custom kit like this, or is there a good place to buy all these parts in a one stop shop? I have been looking at the grubee stage 3 kits but I can not locate a supplier.

I want to build this right the first time and I dont want to install a cheap chinese engine, I would also like to speak with someone at a company that would be knowledgeable on what i need for my specific bike. I have also decided that i like the sprocket disc hub driven chain system and would like to purchase an entire "custom" kit for one price instead of ordering parts that dont all fit from 3 other companies.

Thank you!

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I'm also at the point of making a decision on a new kit. There is the Honda 35cc that is friction drive and the seller has three kits left and is closing shop. The kit installs in 2o minutes and is very clean looking. Have you ever seen a cleaner install, I love it.
After looking at thatsdax site, I see the Titan for about the same money. I don't really like all the mounting hardeware as I'm going for stealth. I do like how the dax kit sits over the wheel and it is a larger engine.
I don't know what to do

Attachments