power problem

GoldenMotor.com

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
loss of power????
my bike is bout 1 yr old bout 700 mls on it.
new spark on it.
fired up wants to run.
when clutch is in runs and throttles great.....but???
when i let out the clutch it just dont want carry my fat(260lbs) but no more?
it just tugs along poorly.
does anyone have any advice for me tanks
rags:-||

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Pull the bowl off the carb and use a flat head screwdriver to remove the main jet. Shoot some carb cleaner through it and reinstall. Clean the bowl while it's off. May want to replace the filter too.

How long has it been since you rode it?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Sounds like a loss of compression. Check for air leaks around the head, intake and carb connection. If there is a leak at the head gasket you can usually feel air shooting out from around the sides of the head while its running.

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
this started happening friday played with it saturday. will chk for leaks. remember lifting rear in air and it seem to run well when free with no weight?
GREAT ADVICE!!! will follow. any more advice grateful, tanks
ragscvlt1

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
put new muffler on, cleaned carb bowl&intake. the head bolts took a few turns,me tinks they were a lil loose! this all helped quite a bit BUT still wont get me up my hill!?!? bout 60-70% better but still lil sluggish. is there anything else i can do? almost back there. great help tanks {will try loosen muff bit)
rags:-||

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
If performance improved after tightening the head, its previous loose condition may have resulted in a fouled gasket/mating-surfaces. I recommend removing the head and cylinder and lapping them. If you have a replacement gasket; use it.

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
removing head lil scary!!! gonna try losen muff a bit, done that before. also gonna try cleaning carb more. other than remove bowl clean jet, what about upper part? any more advice? please and tanks!! if that dont work guess ill haveto do the gasket yipes!
rags zpt

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The NT carburetor does not have an idle port, so the only thing to really clean out is the main jet and bowl. Sometimes trash can accumulate in the fuel control valve, commonly referred to as the needle. It's what the float in the bowl controls.

Taking the head off is nowhere near scary. It's 4 nuts. Once off, there's only an aluminum gasket to take off. That's it. Lapping the head is easy too. Get a mirror or a section of glass. Something very flat. Tape some 200 grit sandpaper to it. Get a magic marker and color the bottom of the head. Let the ink dry. Now lightly sand the head on the glass. Use small swirls. Do a few circles, then turn the head 90 degrees. Repeat. After a couple light passes, take a look at the magic marker. Are there spots it didn't sand? If yes, keep going. If no, the head is true.

Tip: you can even cut out your own head gasket from disposable turkey roasting pans.

(super secret tip: if the head and cylinder are 100% true, you can use a thin layer of copper rtv sealant as a head gasket. Ask me how long mine has been like that!)

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you weigh 240, I recommend getting an expansion pipe to increase performance, make the header long, like about 17 inches, and you will get a lot of extra low end power for going up hills. It sounds like the head needed tightening though, can you feel any air shooting out around the head when the motor is running without the clutch engaged? Just rev it a few times and see if you can feel any hot air shooting out. Air leaks at the head are a pretty common problem. Also, a fred head will give you more compression and could help you get more power too.

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
YEA!!!!!
popped off the head and wouldnt ya know it, big ol rip in gasket.
took your advice and all i had was rv sealant. sanded proper, resealed
and TOOK OFF! made it all the way up my hill barely had to pedal!!!
you guys are great! thanks so much for all the great help and advice!
hope to see ya on the road!!

rags
dance1.shft.xct2