Can I use a power generator engine for a bicycle motor

GoldenMotor.com

Motor awesomeness

Nov 3, 2014
Illinois
All right everyone, yes its stupid to have a motor that size and i do listen to advice. So heres the thing, i only have very basic hand tools including a cordless drill, handsaw, wood screws, bolts, and a socket set. And i cant weld for any reason because there are no outlets outside the condo building and it produces uv light which will blind any little child looking at it.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
.duh.

There is one other reason not to do a bike with that engine. If you spend any time in the Laws and Legislation forum you will see that Illinois has very strict laws on motorized bicycles. Most obviously, a 1 HP limit on engine size. Lots of guys run 66 cc 2 cycles and others the 49 cc Honda clones. Even though all of those are above the 1 HP limit, they are not so freakin' huge as to be painfully obvious to any cop observing you.

Build what you want, but understand you are begging for trouble.

usflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
All right everyone, yes its stupid to have a motor that size and i do listen to advice. So heres the thing, i only have very basic hand tools including a cordless drill, handsaw, wood screws, bolts, and a socket set. And i cant weld for any reason because there are no outlets outside the condo building and it produces uv light which will blind any little child looking at it.
Considering your tool situation, budget and living in a condo, suggestions you've gotten about a 2 stroke kit are probably your best bet. Very basic tools will get you going and on your way. You'll learn a lot and have fun while you're at it. If I were you I would look for build threads that use your same bike and see how they were done. Then you can ask the builders very specific questions about where they got their kits, problems they solved, etc. Do you know anybody with a kit bike? Great to have a building and riding friend. Whatever you do you want for it to be successful, within your budget and not attracting too much attention from authorities. Wear a helmet and have fun. Good luck to you and remember that there are no dumb questions. Ask and learn. Let us know how it goes and share your experience.
SB

Motor awesomeness

Nov 3, 2014
Illinois
I have cash and not a card. And I'll try to run slow cause of the "1 HP limit". One hp barely gets someone anywhere. That and technically it's a moped cause it goes faster than 25 MPH.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Oh! back when i was a kid,in the 50's they took Briggs washing machine motors and run a belt back to a car generator that had the bottom cut out to make friction drive. They went about 20 mph and were only 5/8 hp and only about 1,500 rpms. With today's little 35 cc 4 stroke they turn about 6,500 rpms ...........Curt

Motor awesomeness

Nov 3, 2014
Illinois
How much hp can a fwd friction bike handle before things go south?

This is a follow up question from one of my other threads. Here's what I got: I think 212cc gas generator motor making 6.5 hp and 9.5 lb-ft of torque according to the math formula for torque. Is this too much power for a friction driven fwd bicycle. I know it will be reliable and dangerously fast enough to get on the bad side of Illinois law, but I don't have any other motor on hand with little cash and I live in a condo. So is 6.5 hp ok or enough power to shred tires at 35 MPH (maybe 40+) and get in trouble with the law preventing me from getting a learners permit this year.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Re: How much hp can a fwd friction bike handle before things go south?

if you think you can mount that motor over the front wheel, you can probably mount it over the back wheel too. over the back wheel you can drive the wheel with a belt or chain.

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
It should be mentioned that generator engines typically have a tapered shaft which can be a real pain for mounting any sort of clutch, chain, or belt to. Theoretically a friction drive system would work. However, with an engine that heavy, your bike would be pretty out of balance considering the motor has to be mounted to one side of the wheel with the horizontal shaft touching the tread of the tire. Considering your tools situation, I would also recommend shelling out the $120 for a cheap 80cc 2-stroke kit.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
You have been well advised by these good folks.

Now that some more experienced builders have had their say...
back to post #2.

I would start by checking your local craigslist postings for similar sized generators. That'll tell you what yours is worth- be patient, don't sell it too cheap.
Then I'd have fun tuning/ cleaning up the one I had, and sell it. It's good experience too; fuel, compression, spark, everything you'll have to deal with on your M.A.B.
Hard to get a decent genny around here for less than 4 or 500, and that is plenty of loot to build yourself a fast chain drive gas-bike. And it will operate safer, better, and waaay cooler than one you put together without the right stuff.
I'm all about making what you need, but your situation is screaming "kit". Once you get the bugs worked out, you'll KNOW what you need to do to build one from scratch.

One very important thing: there is no use for wood screws on your bike. You should use only the hardware that comes with your kit- or better yet, use that extra money from the genny sale to buy good American made bolts and such. When you get to that point, we'll help you out.

Your threads were merged together because they're basically the same thing. It took me a while to learn, but just ask your questions here. No need to start another thread, you have the attention of some very experienced, helpful builders right here- pick their brains! ;)

Trey

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
It should be mentioned that generator engines typically have a tapered shaft which can be a real pain for mounting any sort of clutch, chain, or belt to. Theoretically a friction drive system would work. However, with an engine that heavy, your bike would be pretty out of balance considering the motor has to be mounted to one side of the wheel with the horizontal shaft touching the tread of the tire. Considering your tools situation, I would also recommend shelling out the $120 for a cheap 80cc 2-stroke kit.
Or even a 49CC kit, About the same price, But It'll keep yer speed down just a little and help keep the law happy. AND everyone says thay last better because its less power than the 66/80CC and wont tear itself apart as fast. I highly recommend a 49CC china girl.
fatdaddy.usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hi MotorA

Some Solex racers run over 7 hp on front wheel friction drives.
Water cooled, reed valves, 50cc.
They use Moped or motorcycle tires.
very cool pix , but this aint apples to apples comparing to what the OP is thinking of doing.

very cool pix, had no idea they did that.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think ill be fine at that speed (40+) cause the bike has a aluminum frame and i got it from walmart for 140 bucks.

And plus, this is the engine i only got, no other engine.
I only got 100 bucks and a friction drive is cheapest as i already have some of the pieces needed.
The bike also has suspension so the ride will be comfy.
You design is coming along.

No clutch...
That will sure make starting and stopping it interesting.

I suggest you get a big front basket or some rope and attach that engine to the front of your bike over the front tire, then go pedal it around some.

Curbs, speed bumps, everything you would likely encounter at much greater speed if the engine were actually mounted.

The bottom line is there simply are no viable shortcuts when playing with huge amounts of spinning torque, center of gravity and mounting.

Those front wheel racers have motorcycle steel frames, heavy duty forks and cast iron hubs.
Your $140 aluminum Walley World toy bike does not.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey KC, Sounds like the kid is he!! bent on killing himself, I sat him down and had a talk with him, Thats about all I can do.
BUT, I have an idea, I'm gonna build a ultralight aircraft, I got an old weedwhacker engine that kinda runs OK, I have some PVC pipe in the rafters of the shop for the airframe and lots of wood screws to hold it together. and I have some old bed sheets I'm gonna use for wing covers, A little house paint to stiffen up the cloth ought to do it. FAR regulations say I can go up to 10,000 feet in it legally. ADVICE, I dont need no stinking advice. John Denver did it, So can I!!!!!
fatdaddy..fly

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
We need to lighten up on the kid here a bit . I'm pretty sure he has the idea....
On a lighter note . Can you imagine the conversation you'd have with the cop when he stops you and you tell him this
is a moped....

FatDaddy, I'll be your ground crew.....

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I never like to see us squash innovative thinking or poo-poo on people's ideas when it comes to building something a little different from the norm. Nevertheless I do believe it's our responsibility to warn the uninformed of the potential dangers when we see them as such.

Obviously the OP is a youngster and I applaud his determination to build a bike and do it with what he has to work with. There are far too few of them today with the impetus to even attempt such a challenge. However, all of us with years of mechanical experience under our collective belts can readily see that what he is attempting to do probably won't work as he foresees it.

The most important factor here is safety. With a minimum of tools and a lack of fabrication and metal working skills, attaching a large engine to a bike, in-frame or friction drive sets the stage for potential injury. This is what we all want to avoid at any cost. Yes, we've probably all done things in our youth that could have, or did, cause us harm. Would we have listened if people had warned us? Probably not. Did you ever wish you had listened? I know I have a few times and have a couple of scars to prove it.

To our young member I suggest what others have and that is to try selling the engine he has and purchasing a 2 stroke kit to install. This will give him some experience and a feel for what is involved with things such as working with tools, fastener knowledge and some basic mechanical experience. Work up to a custom build from there. You'll look back on the project as a valued learning process that will pay dividends later

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and we'll be here to help you along if we can.

Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I never like to see us squash innovative thinking or poo-poo on people's ideas when it comes to building something a little different from the norm. Nevertheless I do believe it's our responsibility to warn the uninformed of the potential dangers when we see them as such.

Obviously the OP is a youngster and I applaud his determination to build a bike and do it with what he has to work with. There are far too few of them today with the impetus to even attempt such a challenge. However, all of us with years of mechanical experience under our collective belts can readily see that what he is attempting to do probably won't work as he foresees it.

The most important factor here is safety. With a minimum of tools and a lack of fabrication and metal working skills, attaching a large engine to a bike, in-frame or friction drive sets the stage for potential injury. This is what we all want to avoid at any cost. Yes, we've probably all done things in our youth that could have, or did, cause us harm. Would we have listened if people had warned us? Probably not. Did you ever wish you had listened? I know I have a few times and have a couple of scars to prove it.

To our young member I suggest what others have and that is to try selling the engine he has and purchasing a 2 stroke kit to install. This will give him some experience and a feel for what is involved with things such as working with tools, fastener knowledge and some basic mechanical experience. Work up to a custom build from there. You'll look back on the project as a valued learning process that will pay dividends later

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and we'll be here to help you along if we can.

Tom

Very well said Tom....

I like the redneck enginuity myself, but we have a responsibility to point poee in as safe of a direction as possible if we can, we all understand that motorizing these bicycles whether cheap bikes or "high end" bikes is a risk since none of them were designed for doing anything more than just peddling them around, but some ideas are just not gonna work and would be really undafe to even attempt.

Im hoping the OP, gets him and fun cool motorized bike built up in the near future, but basically tying a 212cc 4 stroke on the front wheel of an aluminum frame wally world bike is a very bad idea, that aint hating on anyone or there bike, its just fact and I sure dont want to be a part of helping someone get hurt so Im gonna try to steer someone away from a project like that.

Yes, selm generator or just the engine, buy a $120 ebay kit and get your feet wet with the project is my best advice for him also.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Ditto.....
Some have built some amazing front friction drive machines though...
It'd take some seriously mean skills though.

Here is my all time favorite front drive. ( not friction )

Here is my best recommendation for using the 6hp engine you have. I'd add a chain guard though...
Click on the little blue box....

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh lord, I was waiting for that chain to break or come off and wrap around the guy. That bike sorely needs a chain guard.

Tom